Pump Jigs For Precision Drilling Holes

Tinkertoy1941

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
When I started in the machining trade we used pump jigs to locate and drill precision holes. This system was used for prototypes and also production. The N.A. Woodard Company sold many different sizes form two inch square to twenty four square pump Jigs. The picture below is of a two inch square one that I currently use.

I typed into Google "pump Jig" & "drilling pump jigs" & " N A Woodward drilling jigs" and got almost nothing that was related to the subject.
Does any one have a source for these " I suppose antiques"????

You're right, not much out there! I did get some hits using "pump lock" in combination with jig or fixture. I guess that's another term for them. Also, Heinrich appears to have also been a pretty big purveyor or maker of them. Good luck.

-frank

I had a couple of them in my shop for cross drilling of round stock, very handy for limited production, never heard them called that.

I seem to recall, back about a Brazilian years ago, seeing a type of drilling fixture that was basically two plates, a base and an upper, where the upper (equipped with drill bushings) could be lifted a short distance by some kind of cam action, then hinged backward to allow putting in a new workpiece. Don't recall who was selling them. I've tried Carr-Lane and McMaster-Carr, but no joy. Carr-Lane has definitely reduced their product line, compared with what they usedta had when I were a ungeneer.

Anyway, does your "pump jig" fit my description?

I used drill jig bushings in a custom jig that I made to drill holes in a cast part in the late seventies. It was an easy way to precisely locate a hole in a complex casting. The bushings were quite common then in the pre-CNC days. It is still a good choice when drilling precisely located holes in a lot of production parts..

Back