Planning a Building Project – Advice on Equipment Selection?

kered

Registered
Registered
I’m preparing for a building project and need to get some key equipment: a backhoe, bulldozer, and compact track loader. I’ve found some used options at Boom & Bucket and wanted to ask if anyone has experience buying these from them. How did the equipment hold up, and would you recommend going with them? Any advice would be great!

I don't have any experience with B&B. But generally, if earthmoving equipment is functioning well when you buy it, it should hold up. Provided you properly maintain it. Hydraulic hoses, cylinder seals and spool valves are common wear items, Change all the filters, air, fuel and oil, when you get it and regularly, and don't skimp on greasing all the zerks.

Have a dealer(s) do a machine inspection; oil samples,cut the filters, etc. if you're buying for the long term. You want someone who knows the brand. Paint covers a lot!
Otherwise kick the tires etc.
A short term lease or rental may be cheaper if it's a short job.
I worked in the logging industry for a Cat dealer and had a few cutomers who leased the majority of their equipment and others who had their own grease monkeys and called us for the technical stuff

Ultimately comes down to the job.

If you can rent or lease and you don’t want to dispose of equipment when finished just do that and call it an expense.

If it’s your own project and you don’t know how long it’ll take, go for good used equipment. Just be ready to replace something if it doesn’t make sense to fix it.

Are you in Germany? Probably a very different situation than if in the US.

Consult with an accountant either way.

John

Back