OXA 250-000 QCTP - Any good

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
I’ve currently got a Burnerd QCTP on my lathe:

2e4aae39590f5f6a114996b5f0de841a.jpg

This is a bit hard to adjust, not the most sturdy etc so I was looking to change it. I already have a OXA 250-000 on the shelf that I bought a few years ago and didn’t realise it was that small. I replaced it with a larger QCTP on my old lathe but that was sold when I sold my old lathe.

I’d need to modify the t nut on the OXA to make it fit, so before I ruin something I can sell, is it worth doing? The larger version of this QCTP will be more solid, hold larger tooling etc but does that make a real world difference on a lathe as small as mine ( a south bend 9 copy, smart and brown SAB)? Will the larger one leave a much better surface finish? The OXA I have fits 8mm tooling, I think the next size up is 10mm or maybe 12mm.

Do I stick with what I have or pay out an extra couple of hundred on the larger size (250-100?)

This is the OXA mocked up:

20b965a0ace9f2b1e41f5acf9daff3cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is OXA the correct size for your lathe ?

Instead of chopping up the T nut on the OXA, consider making a new one on your lathe.
What size tap does it use?

I had thought of this, but I wouldn’t have the larger size to compare against anyway. I’m wondering if it’s worth the effort of making a new t nut or if I should just bite the bullet and buy the bigger model. I’m hoping people who have tried both can give me real world differences on a lathe my size between the two sizes of tool post holder.

Little Machine Shop lists the OXA as good for up to 8 inch swing.
If you can get the cutter to the proper height with the OXA, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try - even if you had to pad it up a touch.

I haven't seen one of those little Burnerd QCTPs. That style would probably fit my little Compact 8 real nice.

Sorry I can't provide comparison info for that lathe. I have an AXA size on a 10 inch Logan and it appears quite rigid.

If you have a 9" swing, an AXA is the correct size.

The relevant measurement is from the top of the compound to the spindle axis. If that distance is 15/16” or greater then an AXA will work. If it’s much less then an OXA will be better.

Last edited:
I had thought of this, but I wouldn’t have the larger size to compare against anyway. I’m wondering if it’s worth the effort of making a new t nut or if I should just bite the bullet and buy the bigger model. I’m hoping people who have tried both can give me real world differences on a lathe my size between the two sizes of tool post holder.

Be careful in purchasing a particular size QCTP. The size od lathe they will fit are generic are advisory only. I have an AXA QCTP for my G0602 (10 x 22) lathe and it is marginal for 1/2" tooling. There are XL tool holders intended to provide for 5/8" tooling which buy an extra bit of clearance with the 1/2" tools but it is closer than I would have liked. I like to have a little wiggle room. It wouldn't be a problem except that insert tooling is particular. I don't want to use 3/8" insert tooling due to a lack of rigidity and of suitable inserts. You need to measure the distance from the top of your compound to the spindle center line. Compare that distance to the thickness of the base of the tool holders plus the tooling you wnat to use. Shars and Aloris both provide this information. The measured distance should be greater than the sim of the two specifications. The more the better as the actual dimensions do vary somewhat.

An AXA setup is better than an OXA for reasons stated but if it doesn't fit, it is of little use.

Back