OT - Storing PVC/ABS Cement

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm tired of having to buy a new can every time I need some. Has anyone found a method of storage that works? I'm thinking maybe keep the can in a Mason jar, but I'm hoping someone has already found the answer.

I sure haven't . Guess you didn't read about last week's water hearer adventure . :burned up::cussing:

I read once that inverting the can would help. Never remembered to do that. Last can I bought, I did remember to turn upside down. It's only been upside down about a month though. We'll see.

Another product where buying the smallest, highest cost per (unit of measurement) is the most cost effective choice.

I made a couple of custom storage containers (post & photos coming) and forgot to check the status of the cement before I went to buy the pieces.

Perhaps the solvents are escaping, in which case, a more hermetic enclosure would be better, metal or glass would be better. Or perhaps the cement is being activated by exposure to air/oxygen. In that case, the air needs to be replaced with something else, nitrogen? Or the container needs to have the air pumped out (evacuated). If the cement simply self activates, there's not much you can do, except maybe storing it cold to slow down the reactions? Seem to recall there's a doubling of reaction speed for every 10C rise, but my memory could be faulty.

For stuff like this, I've bought little packages, because those old containers - like RTV or cements, just simply aren't very good when served old. Other things do last for quite a while. Would be nice to compile a decent list of these kinds of things, so we don't waste our money on bigger "more economical" bottles when they go belly up when we try to use them 1/5/10 months or years later.

Mason jar would be my choice as long as it's not exposed to heat.
Inverted wouldn't be a bad idea.

When I use my PVC/ABS cement, I carefully clean the lip of the neck before closing. This seems to help in preserving the cement. I also started storing in wide mouth Mason jars although I would expect some permeability through the rubber seal on the lids. To counteract that, I put a fresh piece of aluminum foil on the glass, forming it to the glass and trimming it. I last used the cement about two years ago and when I checked it today, it still sloshed in the can. Another solution would be to put a can of the primer in with the cement. The fumes from the primer will increase the concentration in the jar, slowing down evaporation from the cement cans.

When I use my PVC/ABS cement, I carefully clean the lip of the neck before closing. This seems to help in preserving the cement. I also started storing in wide mouth Mason jars although I would expect some permeability through the rubber seal on the lids. To counteract that, I put a fresh piece of aluminum foil on the glass, forming it to the glass and trimming it. I last used the cement about two years ago and when I checked it today, it still sloshed in the can. Another solution would be to put a can of the primer in with the cement. The fumes from the primer will increase the concentration in the jar, slowing down evaporation from the cement cans.
Good idea with the foil. Need to make sure there are no creases and it's smooth, but should form a metal to glass seal with the seal pressing it into place. Wasn't sure of the hardening mechanism, if was simply solvent evaporation or not.

My RTV tubes always seem to harden in the neck, by the cap, once the metal seal has been broken. Sometimes I can save them, sometimes they stiffen enough that it just isn't worth it. I had some red O2 safe high temp RTV that I used to seal a stubborn turbo exhaust system and there was some left over. But when I tried to use it again, it was no good. Cost me a week, because I had to order some more, since it wasn't locally stocked. Think I eventually redid parts of the exhaust by cutting off the too thin flanges and TIG welding on stainless flanges and using special clamps to hold the flanges together. That held up well, never leaked again and is easy to take apart if required.

I read once that inverting the can would help. Never remembered to do that. Last can I bought, I did remember to turn upside down. It's only been upside down about a month though. We'll see.
I've done this. The only thing it does is allow the glue to solidify right under the cap, making it really difficult to open the can.

Back