Oil for micrometer XY stage

durableoreo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm working on a Gaertner microscope. The X- and Y-axis screws are very fine---0.025 travel/ turn or 40-TPI. There are oilers at either end of the screw that close with a screw cap. Is the oil supposed to run through the bearing onto the threads? There's no obvious provision for getting oil on the nut. The X and Y screws are basically a micrometer which makes me think that the threads are meant to run dry. The nut looks to be bronze and the screw is probably steel.

I dissolved a lot of the crud on the screws with WD40 and a brass brush. Spray, brush, rinse, move nut, repeat, spray, blot with paper towel. I've partially re-assembled. Will the WD40 flash off? If the bearings are meant to run dry, do I need to clean the WD-40 residue off with IPA? Better now, before assembling the bearings.

What kind of oil should I use?

Eel oil.

Realistically a 10wt would be fine, but you do not want to lube it with WD.

WD residuewould not cause an issue with a decent oil, but WD on its own will gum up terribly.

Oils info.

Last edited:
I have found that a good quality oil is worth it.

I got a bottle of Starrett instrument oil, like this:
https://www.starrett.com/details?cat-no=1620

It is the only thing I use on my metrology equipment.
That bottle should be a lifetime supply for me.

Also, it worked great in silencing a bathroom door hinge that resumed squeaking within a few weeks after trying another lube.

Brian

Since you don’t want the stage to move on its own, should this be one of the “sticky” lubes used on optical focusing mechanisms?

These guys may be willing to advise you:

Back