Offsetting angle of mill head from table.

BrassCat

Registered
Registered
I have just bought a two spindle mill. The vertical and horizontal both are mounted on a very heavy vertical column.
Rotating that column brings the desired mill head forward for use. The rotation of the support column is indicated
for +/- 45 deg offset. That confuses me. (Armor 5H Mill). I am trying to understand how it was (is) to be used. Just
to note, the vertical head mounts on the horz support arm. (Gives it an angle of rotation)

Possibilities:

1) Rotate Vertical head 90~ deg and support column 90~ deg. 90ish. Allows vertical hew to bore holes with offset
angels. Problem, Marked support arm angles are only +/-45 deg in 1 deg steps. If both angle rotations are 90 then it is just a
weaker horz mill head. Only makes some sense if these are non 90 deg angles.
2) Rotation of support column for horz mill use ?? I can not imagine a slitting saw used this way, table travel is
not aligned. I could imagine making a vertical cut using the height axis.

Actually I don't like either of these choices. Any ideas ??

Thanks, Stan

Sounds like such a unique setup that you'll have to do some experimentation to figure it out. Maybe someone on here had one and can answer better but I suspect it'll start to make more sense once you start using it.

John

Back