Not Mud Daubers this time.

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I guess the ants beat the Mud Daubers to this one. I have seen this in electrical light switches and relays. Once it shut down my outside A?C unit by committing suicide inside the relay contacts for the compressor. Numerous 110 volt light switches in my shop. I finally quit buying new switches and made them where I could take them apart and clean the dead ants out of them. And last but not least the fuel pump relay for one of my pickup trucks. it just goes to show Mother nature will take back everything with time.

They look like ants that bite. Nasty little buggers.

They look like ants that bite. Nasty little buggers.
Yep I got millions of them here. I've been feeding their nest with a mixture of powdered sugar and 99% purity Boric acid. They are either going deeper or they took it to the queen and killed her. With all this rain hopefully, the soil is now saturated with sweet Boric acid.

I sprayed the motor with mineral spirits and will take it off tomorrow. I was going to use insect spray, but the mineral spirits should kill them and then I won't worry about getting poison on my hands when I take the motor apart.

Pretty famous insect guy- discovered a lot about ants and many other bugs

Mix up some dishwashing soap and water and put it in a spray bottle. It will kill any insect that it touches - bees, wasps, ants, roaches, etc. It kills them by blocking their air intakes and suffocates them.

I got these big black wood bees here that burrow into wood. You can hear them rasping away with their rasping mouthparts.
There's a telltale little pile of sawdust too near the hole or on the ground
I like 'em- one of those that shouldn't be able to fly but do

Last edited:
Back