Norton Surface Grinder Hydraulic Fluid?

TORQUIN

Registered
Registered
I have what seems to be a Norton 6x18 surface grinder. I have not been able to locate the actual model number as it is missing or on a plate that has been painted over and I cannot tell it's there, etc. I did find the serial number, which appears to be "H5344 1947". The 1947 may be the year built, but I am not familiar enough with Norton grinders to say this for certain. It has a flat belt-driven spindle, if that says anything.
Anyway, I need to add hydraulic fluid to it. I downloaded a manual for it and the manual states that "we recommend Gargoyl D.T.E. light oil (S.U.V. 255 @100 degrees F.) be used in the hydraulic system".

Does anyone know what this translates to in today's oil spec/terminology?
A google search suggested that "Gargoyl" may have been part of Mobil's line of lubricants, but I do not have concrete evidence of such.

Thanks,
Chris

I tried that before posting here. Nothing out there on point.

Chris

Mobil DTE light oil is ISO 32.

I wrote to the apparent owners of Norton Grinder assets and actually got a reply. I was told, from my serial number, that I have the model is: 6 x18" Hydraulic, built for the Toledo Scale company in 1947, and to use Mobile Vacuoline oil. Based on the PDF I was sent, I ordered Mobile 1405.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• NortonHydraulicOilVacuoline1405.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
Back