New (used) cub cadet.

EricB

Registered
Registered
This was an opportunistic purchase last month. It's a 2015 model with only 68 hours. I already own a little poulan since 2011, and it's never given me trouble, at least none that I caused. Found the cub cadet at a yard sale for less than I spent rebuilding the poulan, and the seller delivered it. Seems like I made a good deal.
xt1.jpg
The 42 inch deck is removed for cleaning and refurb.

Prior to purchase I was only familar with the name and the color, and that it's a lawn mower, so I turned to the internet for guidance on what I've done. After finding you should never buy a lawn mower at a yard sale, it seems that the engine is the source of many horror stories.
engine.jpg
Again, I had no idea Kohler made anything other than faucets. I guess I'll find out if any of the stories are true.

The other issue seems to be the inferior deck, so I pulled it off to have a look. It had several years of clippings (about two gallons) stuck under it and a bit of surface rust but nothing major. The only wear I could find is on the spindle brake pads. Here it is after a few days work.
deck 1.jpg
deck 2.jpg

New belt installed since I was in there anyway, and I'm waiting on the mulch kit to arrive.

Looking forward to spring!

Nice, the old Cub guys will probably be disappointed with the newer model year but it looks like you got a solid machine. Kohler makes decent engines, just have to maintain them like any other small engine.

John

That's a newer Cub . Most mowers now are made off sure these days . Looks to be in good shape and has the Kohler . MTD made these most likely before selling out to B&D Stanley . I'll buy any older CC or IH I can find but they're becoming rare these days . The older models have horizontal engines and are drive shaft driven , they last a lifetime + .

Nice, the old Cub guys will probably be disappointed with the newer model year but it looks like you got a solid machine.
It's not old ................................but still a Cubbie . :big grin: Forgot to mention .....................tear anything off not needed on top of the deck . IE , Pulley guards ! Drill a few holes in the lowest portions of the deck for water drainage and keep the deck clean . Wet grass stuck in places will eat the deck out pronto .

Another issue is with the front mounted muffler . They need to keep free of grass and leaves , they'll light up and burn the tractor to the ground . You can google this or check out only cub cadets website .

Back