New To Me Super 11

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looks like what I bought is the lathe discussed in this thread. I did not see this thread till I took possession of aforementioned Super 11. As discussed in the thread it got damaged and repaired.

Driving from ATX to pick it up in TN, I am hoping I will not find any surprises as it was not powered from what I can gather from the thread.

Here are some pictures. No picture of the end gears. I got the lathe with the gears disassembled. Maybe the previous owner (PO) attempted to clean them. Don't know, I might be missing a gear.

It lacks back splash. Apparently PO acquired the lathe without one. I hope to find one eventually or maybe fab one.

VFD is in the plan. The PO is kind and trusting enough to hand me the 220 3P motor he acquired, though not fully paid, as I did not have enough cash leftover.

Once it is all together and functional, a DRO is in the future.

20240914_200207.jpg20240915_155520.jpg20240915_155515.jpg20240915_155532.jpg20240915_155552.jpg

Any input from members is encouraged.

Should be a good machine.

You've got @davidpbest and @frugalguido on the referenced thread as well as Mikey (RIP) so you might want to reach out to them. Or even revive the old thread since there's some history there.

John

That was a cool Jet 10 inch lathe you had, I am still looking for one close to where I am at that won't break the bank. I have been wanting a mini lathe to compliment my 12x36, I think that Jet 10x24 is about the best mini lathe you could get.

Looks like what I bought is the lathe discussed in this thread. I did not see this thread till I took possession of aforementioned Super 11. As discussed in the thread it got damaged and repaired.

Driving from ATX to pick it up in TN, I am hoping I will not find any surprises as it was not powered from what I can gather from the thread.

Here are some pictures. No picture of the end gears. I got the lathe with the gears disassembled. Maybe the previous owner (PO) attempted to clean them. Don't know, I might be missing a gear.

It lacks back splash. Apparently PO acquired the lathe without one. I hope to find one eventually or maybe fab one.

VFD is in the plan. The PO is kind and trusting enough to hand me the 220 3P motor he acquired, though not fully paid, as I did not have enough cash leftover.

Once it is all together and functional, a DRO is in the future.

View attachment 502965View attachment 502966View attachment 502967View attachment 502968View attachment 502969

Any input from members is encouraged.
That is a nice looking example of a fine lathe.

That was a cool Jet 10 inch lathe you had, I am still looking for one close to where I am at that won't break the bank. I have been wanting a mini lathe to compliment my 12x36, I think that Jet 10x24 is about the best mini lathe you could get.

Yes, it was a nice very capable lathe.

The only drawback on that little lathe, the JET 1024, is the spindle bore. It is only 1-1/16. I thought about boring it a little, but for the AR15 barrels turned to 1 inch straight, it wasn't any problems at all.

Of the 250 some barrels I chambered, which are mostly AR15s, about a 100 of them were done through the 1024. At one time I even had the compound set for taper boring after drilling. Not wanting to disturb the set up, I threaded plunging in with the cross slide. The little guy took it like a boss.

No regrets in letting it go. It went to a good friend.

Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

Last edited:
You can also watch some of Stefan Gotteswinter's old videos on YouTube as he used to have the Super 11 as his main lathe, before he recently replaced it with a Weiler.

Back