New Member with New (to me) Van Norman 0

jcloucek

Registered
Registered
Hello, Gang!

Happy to have found you! A couple weeks back I saw a milling machine at an estate sale. Turned out to be a Van Norman 0. I bought it for a little more than scrap. I will pick it up before the Labor Day weekend, most likely this week. You will notice on the photos a previous owner stripped all the pulleys (except the one lower back) and installed the motor/pulley assy you see. So I guess it is direct drive, with only manual XYZ controls. My goal is to get it up and running as traditionally as possible, but without buying VN parts, unless they fall into my lap. Hopefully I can get someone to loan me the parts or let me come over (if you're close to Cleveland, OH...) and plaster cast the parts. Then I will get to try my hand at building a foundry. But more than likely, I will bend flat stock, try using old piston rods, whatever I can do to create the relative look and function of "Millie." But I am getting ahead of myself. First step is to get her home...

Doing my research, I figured out the 0, 1/2, and 10 are all very similar models/sizes. I am interested in finding other owners of these machines in particular, as I will need some dimensions and questions answered as I try to get mine up and running. Thanks in advance!

Joe

Attachments

• My Van Norman 0a.JPG
    My Van Norman 0a.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 21
  • My Van Norman 0b.JPG
    My Van Norman 0b.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 20
  • My Van Norman 0c.JPG
    My Van Norman 0c.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 19
  • My Van Norman 0d.JPG
    My Van Norman 0d.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Very cool. This is only the third VN0 I have ever seen. If you find any documentation please post it here. I have researched VN mills extensively and have never seen anything on the VN0. Please feel free to contact me for help getting it running.

Sorry you’ve only gotten one response, it might be good to post something in the general area so others can see.

Hope you got it home safely and are starting to make some chips.

John

Very cool. This is only the third VN0 I have ever seen. If you find any documentation please post it here. I have researched VN mills extensively and have never seen anything on the VN0. Please feel free to contact me for help getting it running.
Every one loves new tool photos :) looks amazing.

Stu

Well, he posted this on Aug 17th and was last seen Sept. 17. Hopefully he'll come back and see our responses....

John

Hi Joe,
Welcome to HM, Looks like this post fell through the cracks for a few weeks, not typical here but it can happen. Anyway, it looks like a great score, please post more pictures when you can.

Thanks, Gang! I kinda gave up hope of hearing from anyone.
All,

No chips, yet. I have some outside fall chores to get done before it gets too cold. I was able to get the machine home the week before labor day. It pretty much went smoothly.

I was able to get some documentation from the Smithsonian (yes, that Smithsonian) archives. They have 2 archive boxes of old Van Norman paperwork, but it hasn't been digitized yet. The nice archivist scanned the maximum 50 pp for me. Very little on the ought, but combined with the similar 1, 2, 1/2 and 14, I can kind of hobble what it should look like.

Mine needs some serious rebuilding. It isn't all frozen/seized, but pretty close. Somewhere along its 126 years, someone removed all but one pulley. The side-to-side table movement (which axis is that?) is seized. Someone mounted a motor on the top and direct-drived the head so it only works in the vertical position. It is missing the drive shaft that runs through the center of the machine (front to back). I have one half of one yoke mounted to the table.

ps15toolroom, you know of 3 oughts? I have been in touch with a guy on the FB VN group who has one. Those are the only 2 I know of. I will definitely be hitting you up for guidance as I start to cobble together the parts to rebuild it. I won't say it'll be a restoration, as I do not care so much about original pieces, but it will be a reconstructive facsimile. I MAY try backyard aluminum casting some pulleys and brackets once it is fully operational, but more than likely, the pulleys for the leather belts will be wood, and the brackets to hold the pulleys, welded steel or aluminum.

I am happy you all found this post! More photos to come soon.

Back