Need information on my K.O. Lee Surface Grinder model S718 HG:

47convertible

Registered
Registered
This model S718 is slowly getting back in operating condition after some years of sitting unused in the corner of a high school shop classroom. I was lucky enough to find a manual on line from LeBlond which seems to be owner of the K O Lee name and some parts for old machines. The manual is a copy and has been some help. But now I've run into a roadblock while working on replacing hoses on a hydraulic valve mounted on the lower front of the grinder. There is a label next to the operating handle which indicates the valve will switch the machine between manual and hydraulic operation.

There is no illustration or discussion of this valve in the parts and instruction book and LeBlond parts is apparently not familiar with older K O Lee surface grinders as they say they have no more information than what is in the manual. There is a K O Lee sticker (unreadable) on the body of the valve and the code S838 stamped into the body of the valve. The valve has 3 high pressure hoses and one drain hose. All needed replacing as they were cracked and showed signs of leaking.

A local hydraulic shop made new hoses but in handling the old hoses the marks I made on them to locate origin and destination were erased by handling. If you have a K O Lee grinder you know it was never designed with the idea of making service and repairs easy so its difficult to squeeze the body into the interior and locate hose connection points even with the hydraulic tank removed.

I did find some information on the hydraulics on page 16 of the manual and a reference to hoses from the pump going to "valve" and to "hydro-mech" but I could not find any further discussion or illustration to indicate what valve or what hydro-mech was. I found no discussion or illustration in the manual of the part stamped S838 which is the hydraulic valve that switches between manual and hydraulic operation.

I'm hoping someone in the forum has one of these machines and can provide an explanation and of what the valve is called and a map[ where the hoses to it connect on the machine. LeBlond says they have nothing other than whats in the manual they provide for copying and downloading. I have that.
Thanks for any assistance.
Jerry

I have a KO Lee Surface Grinder.
Model no. S618 HG.
I think I have a manual but I am not sure where at this moment.
I know I have seen a pretty good description of function with a "map"
Tomorrow night I will get over to the shop and will look at the machine.

I have a KO Lee Surface Grinder.
Model no. S618 HG.
I think I have a manual but I am not sure where at this moment.
I know I have seen a pretty good description of function with a "map"
Tomorrow night I will get over to the shop and will look at the machine.
Thanks for your offer. I'm particularly interested in the valve that changes machine operation from hydraulic to manual and a diagram of the connection points of the 3 high pressure hoses.

20210804_201503.jpg
20210804_201448.jpg

I will get pictures inside the cabinet, tomorrow. My phone was dying.

View attachment 374395View attachment 374396
I will get pictures inside the cabinet, tomorrow. My phone was dying.
Thanks. I recognizemotor, pump and some of the lines as being similar to my grinder. Could you please also take a photo of the outside of the front where the valve to control hydraulic or manual operation is located on mine as well as photos of the inside. Attached photos show location of the hyd-manual valve is located and the valve dismounted showing where pressure lines are attached. Hope they are helpful to you. Jerry

Attachments

• Surface grinder hydraulic shut off location.JPG
    Surface grinder hydraulic shut off location.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Surface Grinder part S838 on off valve for K O Lee model S718HG.JPG
    Surface Grinder part S838 on off valve for K O Lee model S718HG.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 138
Thanks for photos. I recognize hydraulic motor, tank, pump and some of the lines. I would appreciate it if you can take photos on the inside and show routing of lines on the valve that controls hydraulic-manual switching. Also a photo of the outside of your machine where that valve mounts. I will try to attach a couple of photos of my valve and mounting location.

Attachments

• Surface grinder hydraulic shut off location.JPG
    Surface grinder hydraulic shut off location.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Surface Grinder part S838 on off valve for K O Lee model S718HG.JPG
    Surface Grinder part S838 on off valve for K O Lee model S718HG.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Surface Grinder K O Lee.JPG
    Surface Grinder K O Lee.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 128
Sdelivery, I'm still interested in anything in your manual and pictures of the inside of your S618 H that might give some guidance on the valve and hoses that shift my S718 HG between mechanical and hydraulic.

Any others with S718 GH surface grinders, your input into figuring out the routing of the hoses on this valve would be very helpful.
Jerry

Hi Jerry. I will be heading over to the shop in a few minutes and will get some pics for you.

Hydraulics. BOYER AND SHULTZ
SIX TWELVE
20210819_193859.jpg
20210819_193907.jpg
20210819_193912.jpg
20210819_193941.jpg

20210819_193952.jpg
20210819_193959.jpg

Attachments

• 20210819_193959.jpg
    20210819_193959.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 151