Need help identifying materials from German

swirnoff

Registered
Registered
Hi. I am starting work on a LONG-term project. To recreate a Curta type 1 calculator at 2-to-1 scale. I have the old shop drawings and in the materials list there are 4 materials listed that I can partially translate, but some elements (and they are common) are eluding my research skills. If these make sense to anyone, I'd love to hear what a modern translation or even material might be.

• Neusilber Brin. 200-220 and 230-240. The Neusilber part means nickel silver, but the abbreviation "Brin." I can't find anywhere.
  • Nichstrost stahl Brin. 180-200. Nichstrost stahl is basically stainless steel, but again "Brin." is unknown.
  • Phophore Bronze Brin. 220. The missing part should be obvious.
  • Hart Gewalzt Brin 230-240. Hart Gewaltz is hard steel, so I'm assuming a version of tool steel.
  • Spanal 320. I suspect this is a brand name and I think it's a type of plastic. Maybe similar to Delran?
Thanks for ANY guidance or really good guesses someone can provide. I will say that since I'm not intending to make more than 2 (I figure better to make double the pieces as spares...or a gift for my dad) and NOT looking for material benefits for mass production or for thousands of cycles of use, that if this "Brin." represents a particular mix or ratio of materials, that it might not be vital.

Thanks. I've done some checking and the numbers line up with Rockwell values. Looks like I can proceed with my plans with some more confidence.

Spanal 320 is aluminum with copper as the main alloying element, this chart shows it equivalent to 2007 or 2030 grade aluminum, I don't know if those are available. 2011 and 2024 have copper as the main alloying element, so either of those should be equivalent enough.

Hartgewalzt means hard rolled, or basically strain hardened, so that would refer to a steel that has been hardened through a rolling process. I found the bill of materials for the calculator and this steel is for lock washers and the description lists stainless sheet steel for the material.

Back