My new (to me) 12" (tall) drill press

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was looking at FB and saw this itty-bitty DP and thought I would check it out. I got it for the awesome price of $0. It was listed at $20, but he just gave it to me.
20240909_163226.jpg20240909_163233.jpg20240909_163241.jpg20240909_163306.jpg20240909_163316.jpgmini DP ad 2.PNGmini DP ad.PNG
I can't tell what brand it is, but the label seems to read "Engineer MD [something]" I can't read the rest. There is other writing, but it is Chinese characters. I could not take a good photo of it to show the label.

It is 3 speeds: 3200, 5200, 9800 RPM.

The whole thing is 12" high, so can I call it a 12" drill press? Ha!

It needs a chuck key; none of mine fit. The hole is 0.217"/5.5mm. The markings on it are E with what appears to be a J, I and S in a sort of circle, then 6160. There is what appears to be a bird logo and the words "Trademark" as well. Any ideas what size I should get? A little research turned up the name "Baige", but I couldn't find anything. There's a "Trademark" drill chuck for sale on Ebay that has the same logo.

It's cast iron. The motor seems to run fine, but the RPM's varied a bit when I was taking the readings.

The plan is to take this apart, clean and lube it and use it. I might need to slow it down, though; at those speeds wood and aluminum with small diameter bits are the only appropriate materials to cut.

Anyone know anything about this DP?

Thanks!

The only thing I know is the circle mark — it’s the old mark for Japan industrial standard used pre-2008. Many items have it, not just particular brands.

IMG_3118.png

Nice score. A sensitive drill press. Don't mess with the speeds. It's for holes smaller than 1/4", probably down to a 32nd.

Nice score. A sensitive drill press. Don't mess with the speeds. It's for holes smaller than 1/4", probably down to a 32nd.
Thanks! I've come across the term "sensitive drill press" several times as I research this. Does this DP need a small vise?

I think so. I don't usually work at that scale but I have the impression that everything is more important and difficult when the work is small. I would look at the small grinding vises at Shars.

Back