My CM-2 Monaset Tool and Cutter Grinder..

OldCarGuy

Registered
Registered
The Monaset is a Taiwanese made knock-off of the Cincinnati Monoset T&C Grinder. https://atrump.com/product/model-cm-a-atrump-tool-cutter-grinder-monaset/ The knock-off changed the second "O" to an "A". The folks that built Cincinnati Milling Machines designed and built the Monoset Tool and Cutter grinder from the 1940's into the 1980's. The complex and versatile grinder was added to compliment their #2 Model Cutter Grinder. And had only minor changes over its' lifespan. It was design to grind many operations in one setting. Sharpening most milling cutters. Or from bar stock it could make a cutter from scratch. Grind concave or convex radii. Make straight or tapered end mills with helical leads.. Automatically generate straight or tapered, right or left-hand infinitely variable spirals with a simple adjustment. Or can be used as an external or internal cylindrical grinder...
monaset_rF8YBsQd84V33o5veUoPg2.jpg

I have a full array of collets and wheel adapters
(edited)_77B2A5E0-2E2F-442D-81E9-44BB695CD872.png

A3C764A4-AED8-4122-A901-239F4512E23B.jpeg

Attachments, cams, centers, guards, etc...
1665679C-6BAB-441F-8D10-BE35D6B90B2D.jpeg

A precision six-jaw chuck that center's the work piece to less than a .001"
53AE1E75-BDD7-46CC-AA2C-89F291EB6167.jpeg

A Suburban 5" magnetic chuck for holding work pieces in the working head.
79D80D0E-6254-4B41-9030-A333B98EAE53.jpeg

Rough machined Valve guide for my 1914 Cadillac that I ground to fit valve stem and press fit into head.
B32F4F90-3AC7-4869-9994-B3D34CD89FBC.jpeg

You can see the spiral action as the work head in moved. It's difficult to hold camera and turn handles.. but should get the idea..

Amazing set up. I’m hoping some of the guys looking at tool and cutter grinders get a look at your setup and see what a properly tooled machine looks like. 99% of the time I only see stripped down grinders with absolutely no tooling for like $500. So someone with no experience thinks oh I can afford $500 not knowing the machine is not capable to do anything without all the tooling which can be 3-4x’s that price they paid.

Okay that looks like one of those machines that's as much about the operators experience and skill as the machine. Thanks for sharing, cool stuff!

Okay that looks like one of those machines that's as much about the operators experience and skill as the machine. Thanks for sharing, cool stuff!
You could say that about any tool and cutter grinder. Not until you have one and start going through its uses can you grasp the process and the concept. It’s not as straight forward as other machining processes on the lathe and mill. Not that either one can’t do very complicated things.

Amazing set up. I’m hoping some of the guys looking at tool and cutter grinders get a look at your setup and see what a properly tooled machine looks like. 99% of the time I only see stripped down grinders with absolutely no tooling for like $500. So someone with no experience thinks oh I can afford $500 not knowing the machine is not capable to do anything without all the tooling which can be 3-4x’s that price
I was lucky with my #1 Norton T&C grinder, it came with pretty much all the standard tooling, having come out of government storage with the typical government repaint that flakes off at the slightest touch! It had virtually no wear.

I have had the exact same machine 20 years now. Nothing it can't do. The above statement applies to me in spades.

I was lucky with my #1 Norton T&C grinder, it came with pretty much all the standard tooling, having come out of government storage with the typical government repaint that flakes off at the slightest touch! It had virtually no wear.
Pic’s?

I have had the exact same machine 20 years now. Nothing it can't do. The above statement applies to me in spades.

It's been 60 years since I operated a Cincinnati Monoset. And I have owned this knock-off Monaset for two years is all. Consequently I have a lot to relearn and or learn its' full potential. IMHO, The quality of this machine matches that of the original Cincinnati Monoset.

I own this KO Lee Cutter Grinder for forty years. That has the power 5C head, centers, and air bearing end mill grinding fixture.
DSCF3137.jpg

CB63D43F-8C1F-4163-B190-17629EEEBF60.jpeg

For single lip and small hex cutters, I use my Deckel SO Cutter Grinder. It's the size of a sewing machine that has a ridiculous price new. But it makes single lip and hex cutters from HSS or Carbide like nothing else.
4592335D-D8EF-4C1E-A0E3-5478B564F870.jpeg

6CCE202F-7385-49DE-9179-4411F059406D.jpeg

Sample cutters made on the Deckel
335AC8B8-D184-4283-A4D1-C85E57978CE4.jpeg

72C325E1-4452-40C6-9EED-8721ADBAD5FD.jpeg

I can see you are in a different league than myself.

I have the same deckle at my winter shop. I grind relief by hand for single lip cutters on that unit. You must have a better way.

I use both machines only for custom custom shapes and HATE grinding carbide => too hard and too slow. Try to do almost everything with HSS and cobalt.

If I could have found a decent T&C grinder for around $1,000 I would have gladly gone that route. But I needed one bad and decided to go with a Checkel(Chinese Deckel clone) with an R8 head and it has served me well enough. The only thing it was not able to do was grind flutes. Most of my end mills are HSS with a few solid carbide and it does a good job on them. Lathe bits I do on Chidor carbide grinder. I’m certainly no expert but I’ve been able to regrind the 15 or so HSS end mills I inherited with my mill drill that were all dull and put them back to work.

Back