Multiple Questions on new Acra Mill

wnchstrtnfldvlle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally received the new to me Acra mill. Going over it I have a few questions.

Any idea where this braided wire should attach to?
IMG_5398.jpg

Does anyone know the type of connector this is to help narrow my search for a new one? The one going into the motor wiring box is broken.
IMG_5401.jpg

The mill came with a Newall DP700 DRO. The scales are metal rods, so I'm assuming they are magnetic. but, the mill is set up with X, Y, and Quill. There is no scale on the Z axis. I don't believe there is a way to add a fourth axis to this one. I do want a scale on the Z axis, so what do you guys think I should do? Should I scrap the quill scale, and look for the appropriately sized scale for the knee. Or do you think I should scrap the whole DRO system for something else. I know there are arguments for and against magnetic versus optical scales. I've looked at the TouchDRO and it looks like a really good option. The plan is to use this mill for firearms related machining, but could be used for other projects in the future to make money.
IMG_5386.jpg

Lastly, this line for the power drawbar should just push back into that connector on the oiler, correct? The machine motor is stamped 2020, so with the machine being a max of four years old, do you think I should replace the regulator/oiler combo? it looks a little rough, but not sure what it's life span is.
IMG_5397.jpg

Thanks for any help in advance.

That braided wire is probably the ground strap for the DRO display. Check the back for a lug to connect it to.

That's one giant ground wire for a DRO lol. Yes that black tube just shoves back in. I had one of those power draw bars years ago.

I do want a scale on the Z axis, so what do you guys think I should do?
I would not remove the Quill encoder, I find that one far more useful than the main Z.
M-DRO sells a Linear Encoder, Summing Interface that combines the signal from two encoders. I have one that combines the Z (Head movement on my mill) and the z quill movement. Before I added the quill and the summer, the head Z alone, was not very useful.

Here are links to my DRO Z axis Journey:

Trim the boogered part off the tube before pushing back in...

That's a conduit end fitting, not an electrical connector. I'm afraid I don't recognize the brand. You might be able to get a conventional liquid tight fitting to grab it. Or a large cable gland.

+1 on "ground stud on the DRO brain"

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

BTW, I went with two separate Z displays, as my main DRO is older than dirt!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back