Moving a Horizontal Boring Mill 24” to the left

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally got around to moving my boring mill. When I store my RV I need to back it down past the mill to the back of the barn. It is very tight. So today was the day, I moved it two feet to the side. I put a 3 inch solid bar thru the headstock lifting holes and a two inch bar thru the tailstock lifting holes. Used a 50 ton Enerpac cylinder to lift each corner one at a time 3/4” off the floor and then used machinery skates blocked up under the bars. Once it was on the skates I just used a pry bar to inch it along.
The 3 inch bar was extremely heaving as it was 9’ long, I had to use a trolley jack to wiggle it thru the lifting holes. The rest was easy peasy. The mill weighs 21,500 pounds.I haven’t leveled it yet, maybe tomorrow as I wanted to get the RV away today.
Martin W

Yeah, that’s not something you are going to do every day. That’s a pretty good size machine for a little hobby shop! LoL.

I was thinking about getting one almost that big, but passed on it. I’m already stored sone equipment outside as it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that’s not something you are going to do every day. That’s a pretty good size machine for a little hobby shop! LoL.

I was thinking about getting one almost that big, but passed on it. I’m already stored sone equipment outside as it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it’s a big machine…. It’s also my favourite.
If you ever need to move heavy equipment these are indispensable. They are 10 tons each20240922_083037.jpeg20240922_083046.jpeg

I have the those skate's little brothers. Absolutely excellent, especially if there are seams or cracks in the floor.

GsT

Back