Motor noise, help please, thank you.

troy1466

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone know the bearing size/type ... I am having trouble reading the Model type, thank you (Fitted to a Walker-Turner, driver line 700 series, bench top pillar drill)

Attachments

• 20241014_170039.jpg
    20241014_170039.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 19
If it is ball bearing the numbers should be stamped on them- you'll need to open it up
In all likelihood they are both the same type

Last edited:
Plain bearings were common
If there are oil cups, chances are that it has plain bearings.
Disassembly is the only sure way to verify bearing type and dimensions in order to find replacements.

I have seen quite a few motors of vintage, that used R10 imperial bearings or sometimes 6203-2RS, and 6205-2RS metric bearings respectively

Just cannot read this clearly at all, tried all sorts of variations ... but it's 15.875 (5/8") x 35 x 11 mm by my calculations/measurements, will see when the bearings arrive soon

Attachments

• 20241015_135531.jpg
    20241015_135531.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 6
In a drill press, the radial load is light (just the belt tension); the motor bearings ought to be good with
cleaning and re-greasing. I've had bearings turn crunchy when they've had a few decades on 'em, without
any signs of wear.

In a drill press, the radial load is light (just the belt tension); the motor bearings ought to be good with
cleaning and re-greasing. I've had bearings turn crunchy when they've had a few decades on 'em, without
any signs of wear.
The machine ran loud (the main noise was from the motor) the motor bearings hadn't been oiled hardly at all (after removing lube access hole grub screws) so removed the motor bearings and confirmed that they are well worn, worth the effort and low cost if the items I have ordered fit ... :)

Back