Morton Draw-Cut Shaper

OldCarGuy

Registered
Registered
A conventional cut Cincinnati 24” shaper was the first machine I operated 65 years ago. Yet today I continue to be fascinated by them. Today a 16” Gould and Eberhardt Shaper sits in my garage shop. Last weeks travels through Michigan ended at the Ford's Museum Greenfield Village in Dearborn. In the Steam Locomotive round house I came across this old 1912 Morton Draw Cut Shaper. I have been going to that museum for forty years and never noticed it sitting there. This one was designed for building and or rpaing steam locomotives. The head would rotate and could actually bore a round hole or a portion of a circle. This one has a 38” cut but Morton made them up to 72” draw cut.
B5435E0B-EEA9-4FD8-8A1E-6F7B6EE34070.jpeg

The advantage of the draw-cut is the stress on the cut goes aganist the main frame of the machine. And not pushing away and relying on gibs for strength.
morton_pull_shaper2.jpg

morton_pull_shaper_3.jpg

The long bar running the lengthwise on top rotates the head in to shape out a radius. rather then move the table..
BB6F5E12-CD52-41D2-A79A-734C7C4C440E.jpeg

morton_lit.jpg

Figure 2 represents cut of 1/16" deep by 1 3/4 wide. While figure#2 represents 1/8" deep cut 1" wide.
morton_cut.jpg

Here's a short video clip on the 1897 Baldwin Steam Locomotive that circles the grounds..

I love shapers, and I've never heard of a Draw-Cut shaper before. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

GsT

Thet made versions of the draw cut like a horizontal boring mill also.

Back