????? mobil dte oil light

jam

Active User
Registered
my lathe has a tag that has on it mobil dte oil light 24 but I looked it up on grainger at $34.85 gal
and I need 14 pints so I need 2 gal to do it
but my ? is it the best oil to get or do I need to get a mobil dte oil medium 25
this is a older lathe 1984 Cazeneuve 575 ccaa68e1-74be-4463-8652-45ed5b72d254.png

ccaa68e1-74be-4463-8652-45ed5b72d254.png

Enco is $120 for 5 gallons right now. I've bought it at $85 less a 20% off coupon recently there. Watch their specials and you can save bunch. Doesn't solve the immediate need though.
Dave

I bought a 5 gal bucket in the spring and it was like $80 I believe. It was a local oil company near Thomasville,NC. Find one near you on Mobils dealer locator and give em a call.

thanks to all youall be the man :allgood::LOL:

I would say that if the tag on the machine specifies this oil then it's probably what you want to use.

Grainger is about the highest cost supplier there is.

Here's the results of an eBay search I did for this oil and it looks like you can get it for under $20 a gallon with free shipping.

If you buy a 5 gallon pail it can be even less expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...kw=mobil+dte+oil+light&_sacat=12576&_from=R40

BTW, I was just recently made aware of these Cazeneuve lathes and I'm really liking what I read about them.

How do you like yours?

Any information would be appreciated.

it's a nice machine very well built
Specification:
Swing over bed 22.63"
Swing over cross slide 11.81"
Distance between centers 60"
Spindle nose
Spindle bore 2"
Number of spindle speeds 18
Range of spindle speeds 25 to 2000 rpm
Threads--number 73
Inch threads--range 3/8 to 224 tpi
Metric threads--range .0937 to 56 mm
Tailstock spindle travel 5.9"
Tailstock taper of center MT#5
Width of the bed face "
Main spindle motor 12 HP (8.8KW)
Electrics 220/440/3/60
Net weight, approx. 6,000 lbs.

You also might consider McMaster-Carr. I see it there for $25.52 a gallon or a 5-gal buckek for $100.34

Auto parts stores often have an ISO32 weight hydraulic oil that is equivalent to dte light.

Here's a link that shows a cross-reference: http://www.seversonoil.com/commercial-products/lubricants/hydraulic-oils/

Carl
Just a beware note. Turbine oil (DTE) and hydraulic oil (AW) have different additive packages. The anti-wear additives in hydraulic oil can cause varnish problems in bearings, particularly at high speeds in sleeve bearings. I have seen a lot of machinery ruined because the oiler didn't know the difference. Might not be a problem in a hobby situation though.

Gary H

lages

Back