Mobil DTE 25

MBY9A

Registered
Registered
Has anyone ever used Mobil DTE 25 instead of DTE 24 for there gearbox on there South Bend lathes? The oils are identical except that the DTE 24 has an ISO grade of 32 and DTE 25 has an ISO grade of 46 . I can get the Mobil DTE by the pint instead of having to buy a gallon.

I used to be very worried about such things, but after reading discussions on forums about large shops paring down to a few lubricants, close is often good enough for me unless something is super expensive or has a warranty. My old 4runner got all the part bottles of various motor oil mixed together for it's yearly oil change. It only made it 285k before the frame broke.

Most of these machinist tools were designed for nearly continuous duty cycles and decades of use. My machines get over-lubed and under used.

I find a chart like this helpful in these decisions too. This is borrowed from https://www.thelubricantstore.com/understanding-the-viscosity-grade-chart but there are multiple variants on the web. I keep a couple taped to my lubricant cabinet.

The DTE 25 is a little thicker which probably is helpful after a few decades of gearbox wear and any modern lube is likely better than originally specified choice.

Attachments

• TLS_Branded_Compatibility_Chart.jpg
    TLS_Branded_Compatibility_Chart.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 16
I used to be very worried about such things, but after reading discussions on forums about large shops paring down to a few lubricants, close is often good enough for me unless something is super expensive or has a warranty. My old 4runner got all the part bottles of various motor oil mixed together for it's yearly oil change. It only made it 285k before the frame broke.

Most of these machinist tools were designed for nearly continuous duty cycles and decades of use. My machines get over-lubed and under used.

I find a chart like this helpful in these decisions too. This is borrowed from https://www.thelubricantstore.com/understanding-the-viscosity-grade-chart but there are multiple variants on the web. I keep a couple taped to my lubricant cabinet.

The DTE 25 is a little thicker which probably is helpful after a few decades of gearbox wear and any modern lube is likely better than originally specified choice.
Thanks for the info. I tend to overthink things too much. I'm sure as they say any oil is better than no oil. Over-lubed and under used, that'll probably be me too.

DTE 24 and 25 are excellent products
i would get the DTE25 due to the thicker viscosity

Well with a lathe over 70 yrs old i guess it wouldn't hurt being a little thicker.
Thanks for your comment!

Mike

Well with a lathe over 70 yrs old i guess it wouldn't hurt being a little thicker.
Thanks for your comment!

Mike
you live in a climate that doesn't freeze normally, the thicker oil sticks a bit better and won't likely give you cold weather drag

You certainly got that right but tomorrow night is going down to 38. I love it! I'll finally get to wear my jacket I bought 3 yrs ago, lol.

Back