Mini submersible pump for EDM

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I finally started working on the EDM my friend gave me. I set up the head on my ancient drill press and started loosening everything up and getting it working.
20240917_155159.jpg

I'm going to put a 16" x 24" pan underneath the head and pump distilled water through a hollow electrode to flush the material out as it cuts. High pressure isn't required.

I need a mini submersible pump. I don't need crazy small, but small is good. 120v is preferred. I'm hoping to get a specific brand and model number and a reasonable price.

Help!

Cool! I built a simple one back in the 70s from a Popular Mechanics article- used kerosene as a dielectric and carbon rods from
batteries as electrodes- I remember making a triangular hole in a slab of brass. My friends were asking "how did you do that"? LOL

That pump is probably way overkill for what you need- you might have to choke it down to avoid slinging water everywhere

Last edited:
I used a small aquarium pump on mine.
not particularly high pressure but sufficient to work and very cheap with water or kero

Cool! I built a simple one back in the 70s from a Popular Mechanics article- used kerosene as a dielectric and carbon rods from
batteries as electrodes- I remember making a triangular hole in a slab of brass. My friends were asking "how did you do that"? LOL

That pump is probably way overkill for what you need- you might have to choke it down to avoid slinging water everywhere
My friend made one with capacitors and light bulbs. It had three modes. Light speed, ridiculous speed, and ludicrous speed. We made my hallmark for the forge tool and die shop. We used the maxnc to cut a graphite electrode with the bat symbol. It showed up on occasion long after I was gone.

Sounds very similar to mine- couple of capacitors, a couple diodes and two incandescent light bulbs - one speed: slow LOL

I'm going to put a valve in line to keep it from blasting water all over the shop.

Back