Mini Lathe 7x14: How do I change gears? :o(

muscleflex

Active User
Registered
I'd like to thread in the near future... but I have no idea which gears are what?!
My Armadeal mini lathe came with extra plastic gears in a bag (I was told for threading) but I have no idea which ones to replace.
I have taken a photo of what my gears on the lathe looks like including the diagram it includes..
Pls help and sorry for the question - I did google but they're all calculators and not really shown me what gears are what.
IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

I'd like to thread in the near future... but I have no idea which gears are what?!
My Armadeal mini lathe came with extra plastic gears in a bag (I was told for threading) but I have no idea which ones to replace.
I have taken a photo of what my gears on the lathe looks like including the diagram it includes..
Pls help and sorry for the question - I did google but they're all calculators and not really shown me what gears are what.

I don't own this model but from what I can see in the picture this is how it should be, choose your pitch and use the chart for appropriate gear selection and position, use a piece of paper in between the gears for mesh, you don't want them to tight, always take a very light skim cut for the first cut, and check the pitch to ensure you have the proper gears on in the proper position.

AIR_20140802_00000.jpg

AIR_20140802_00000.jpg

Hi .
If you google Paul Bussieres
or send him a E mail on koak007@hotmail.com he has a free down load that gives all the gear combinations for the your lathe. and its easy to use.

Enjoy your new lathe , If you visit my site (see bottom of the page) you will also find help for Minni lathes . feel free to download any of the PDFs it's there to help.

When you put the new gear set on your lathe you may find the gears do not fully line up . If you look closely at the gears you will see that the center is offset to allow the gear to be moved in or out to get the best alignment.

Brian.

I would suggest going to grizzly.com and looking up the manual for their 8688 lathe. For further clarification, go to Littlemachineshop.com. They have very nice set up and users guide as well as a very handy calculator for determining what gears to use where for what thread. The reading is out there for you. I have the grizzly, and that manual alone will walk you through change gears and threading. LMS stuff is much nicer yet. Don't give up before you try, and have fun:))

Thank you. I have been reading the guides on littlemachineshop's site

Thanks - I have googled him but couldn't find his document.. so I'll send him an email. :)

Hi .
If you google Paul Bussieres
or send him a E mail on koak007@hotmail.com he has a free down load that gives all the gear combinations for the your lathe. and its easy to use.

Enjoy your new lathe , If you visit my site (see bottom of the page) you will also find help for Minni lathes . feel free to download any of the PDFs it's there to help.

When you put the new gear set on your lathe you may find the gears do not fully line up . If you look closely at the gears you will see that the center is offset to allow the gear to be moved in or out to get the best alignment.

Brian.

Hi
If you cant get a copy from Paul I will copy mine for you, I am sure Paul will not mind.
By the way don't forget to have the toggle reverse leaver in the correct position or you will get a left hand thread. Right hand threads cut towards the chuck.
When you want to set up the gears I will walk thro it a step at a time with you if you think you need it

Brian.

Thank you. I might take you up on that offer.I have not finished changing my gears. I came to a problem with one of the gears. I'll post a photo tonight when I get home.

here is a complete list of the change gear posibilities

http://www.gizmology.net/changegears.htm

there are other combinations that can work. not all of these are tested.

I have had to make modification to the banjo. Thats the adjustable sliding metal plate used to bring the gears together.

I used a dremel to increase the length of the adjustment travel.

Back