MIG welder for plastic - you probably need this and maybe don't know it.

strantor

Active User
Registered
This isn't an advertisement so I'm not going to post which one I have unless someone wants to know, but there are many 3D pens available and the reviews will surely steer you to a good one. These 3D pens are intended for free-hand "3D printing" of which you can see videos on youtube (example below) but I got one hoping to use it as a MIG welder for 3D printed parts and found that you absolutely can do that. It's amazing! You don't need to go try a dozen different glues until you find one that works on whatever filament you're using; you can just use the same filament the parts are made of. Design bevels into your parts and fill them with "weld bead" just like you would do if you were designing weldments.

You can also use this for things like adding colored text to parts if you don't have a multi-material printer. You can use it to save failed prints. You don't really even need to be 3D printing to use this. It could weld together non-3D printed parts too, broken stuff, if you know what kind of plastic it is and can find the same kind of filament. It uses the same 1.75mm filament that is sold for 3D printers (confirm before you buy, actually some use other diameters and only compatible with "sticks" that they sell). It's basically like an advanced hot glue gun that can spit out most kinds of plastic, not just the EVA glue sticks.

Here I used it to weld together this massive 8-piece shroud/duct I designed for my scroll compressor so that the motor will draw air through the radiator.

20240715_122536.jpg

Here I used it to shore up and bridge together some supports that were getting knocked over. I saved 2kg of filament by doing this so it paid for itself 100% just in that one use. (Ignore nasty stringing, I obviously don't have my printer tuned properly for this filament yet)

20240715_140550.jpg

Here is what it's "supposed" to be used for (which is also cool as heck but not my use case):

I'm quite happy with mine, very handy for filling and welding. I actually funded the original Kickstarter

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Original 3Doodler, mystery clone, and the big daddy Mini-Weld.
The soft-touch purple coating has gone sticky. Ick.
16f47cd515505fd5eee8d63fc01cc5e8.jpg
a74fe0b267a91b6d014640f7928e8dce.jpg
7cad85e849bc2c905748bf917e105261.jpg

WOW! Those things have some miles on them! (or have you just been aiming the angle grinder at them?)
How old is that big one? Looks like it predates 3D printing and I can't find it on the internet. I guess this has been a thing longer than I realized.

Large plastic fabricators use extrusion welders that will lay down an inch wide bead! My Mini-weld is a baby relative to those!

Here's a weld...

Yeah, the purple one is covered in cruft. I need to see if I can get the sticky goo off of it.
883450e619457d6fe7875cef3864f0fa.jpg

For just tacking or welding parts together I just use a standard 30 watt soldering iron. Use left over .2mm extruded filament for filler rod. Just lay the filler in the joint and run over it with the iron.

An adjustable temperature one works even better

Back