McCrosky Turret

plongson

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Excuse me for my ignorance but...
I have this McClusky E 4 1/2 1-60 turret I dug out and I cannot for the life of me understand how the handle works. I would think it would somehow pinch or lock the turret...but it does not. Pushing it down to a presumed lock position does nothing...it just kinda hits and stops.

But...obviously rotating the handle clockwise, it lock the turret from rotation.
Any words of wisdom? It's got me stymied...

Paul

20240708_143948.jpg

20240708_143956.jpg

I think it locks with the handle in the upward position.

I was just messing with it...I think I'll stick with my KDK style quick change. This turret would be nice if it had micro adjustment but that only comes with shims...it's a big'ol boy, really heavy duty...back it goes in the dark corner...lol

I think it should just be a folding function, which can ensure that you can go straight up when you don't need to switch positions, and won't interfere with the side. It seems that the meaning is not much, more likely to be exploratory concept design.

McCrosky was around a long time and there is some info on vintagemachinery.org such as this cutaway from 1971:
1720624089893.png

and this from c1920 showing a solid handle. Do the basic guts look like either of these?
1720623912586.png

My McCrosky looks similar except mine has a folding handle and no dovetail mount...(see my photos). The thing is quite a brute...I just hate the thought of shimming each station for height. Honestly, I have so many KDK holders already set, it's almost as easy to drop them in.
THANKS for the feedback!!

Back