Maximat v10 mill performance

barrti

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi, I have just joined the forum and I'm interested in feedback from anyone familiar with the Maximat (Emco) V10 mill.

For instance:
-Does it give satisfactory results considering its intended use and design?
-What are some easy improvements to reduce chatter?

Cheers
Barrti

Hi, I have just joined the forum and I'm interested in feedback from anyone familiar with the Maximat (Emco) V10 mill.

For instance:

Cheers
Barrti
I got a V10 a few years ago from a garage sale. I love the lathe but did not get much use from the mill for a while. I have a small horizontal mill which is much more rigid than the mill set-up on the V10. Eventually, I made a vertical attachment for the horizontal mill from the V10 mill (that worked out pretty well).
Does it give satisfactory results considering its intended use and design? It did not meet my needs while mounted to the lathe.

For instance:

Cheers
Barrti
The mill head on an EMCO V10 does give adequate results but it has to be kept in mind that it is a lightweight piece of kit. All that EMCO additional stuff works well if respected for what it is.

Only small parts can be milled on this type of combo machine; steel parts can be fabricated but require slow feeds and patience
Aluminum, brass and plastics can be worked satisfactorily

I got a V10 a few years ago from a garage sale. I love the lathe but did not get much use from the mill for a while. I have a small horizontal mill which is much more rigid than the mill set-up on the V10. Eventually, I made a vertical attachment for the horizontal mill from the V10 mill (that worked out pretty well).
Den-Den
Thankyou.

The mill head on an EMCO V10 does give adequate results but it has to be kept in mind that it is a lightweight piece of kit. All that EMCO additional stuff works well if respected for what it is.
Pylonracer,
Thanks for this.

When I bought my V10p the base of the compound was broken. I proceeded to mount a suitable piece of steel onto an 8" rotary table which was secured to the cross-slide table of the lathe and proceeded to machine the part using the Maximat mill head. Hogging cuts are out of the question on this machine but it is capable of good accurate work if worked carefully.
Most important thing to remember about the V10-series lathes is that both the mill-head and the lathe headstock employ fiber gears and pot metal shift forks which are known to strip or break. Carefully inspect and lube your machine's innards before doing any machining.

When I bought my V10p the base of the compound was broken. I proceeded to mount a suitable piece of steel onto an 8" rotary table which was secured to the cross-slide table of the lathe and proceeded to machine the part using the Maximat mill head. Hogging cuts are out of the question on this machine but it is capable of good accurate work if worked carefully.
Most important thing to remember about the V10-series lathes is that both the mill-head and the lathe headstock employ fiber gears and pot metal shift forks which are known to strip or break. Carefully inspect and lube your machine's innards before doing any machining.
Choilefan,
Thanks, yes they have used a few substandard materials in the shift forks as well.

Back