Matt at PM

falconpilot

Registered
Registered
How does one manage to get ahold of Matt at PM. I've call three times now with questions and intention of buying either a 1440GT or 1440HVT-2. I've talked to John everytime.....maybe I wasn't asking the right questions in the right way, but not getting much help and ready to just say screw it and buy another brand. Everything I've read on here says that Matt is guy to go too with questions and requests. I have questions regarding upgrading DRO's, chucks, VFD's, phase converters, unlisted parts, etc. Anyone know how to reach him before I buy another brand?

I really wanted to buy the 1440HVT-2, but don't think I want to wait the time required. So, I've had a few questions of the 1440GT.

1) What upgrades are available to the machine straight from PM? I read on here that Matt can get parts not listed on site - ie...different DRO's, different chucks, etc.

2) Does PM offer a VFD solution for the 1440GT that they install? What Phase converter do they recommand(and do they sell it) for single phase to three phase if they don't offer VFD. I know that Mark on this site is the go to guy -but I do not want to try the project myself. I also have couple of generally questions regarding using a phase converter? I only have single phase, but want to buy the three phase machine.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Hey Jim, Matt is not always in the position to take phone calls. We do have a whole staff to help out with anything you would need. Anyone who answers the phone when you call can help you out. He loves talking to customers, but he is only one person, so has the rest of us to help. He is more on the vendor/factory side and running the company which takes so much of his time. He is always on site, but rarely at his desk.
If you have specific questions that are not covered here, please email to sales@precisionmatthews.com and if no one else can answer, they will leave it for him. We have all been doing this for a while now and can handle just about anything.To answer your questions:
  1. All of the upgrades that we have available are listed on the web site, under each model. If you go to the machine you are interested in, please scroll down, and any of the options listed there are what is available for that machine. If you have any questions about any of those, please feel free to ask us. Nothing else is available for the specific machines other than what is listed.
2. We can not install a VFD on the models, that would be a customer installed option only. We do offer some variable speed models with the VFD already built in, like that 1440-HVT-2 that you had mentioned. But that one is on backorder until December now, next 2 shipments are currently sold out, We did just get some of the PM-1440GT Lathes in stock. Most customers will use the Hitachi VFDs for their installs if you go that way. You could also use a rotary phase converter, its a very easy hook up, but higher in price, and no variable speed benefit. We have no way to install those for you though, with electrical codes and all, that is not something we can do.Please contact us if you have any more questions, and we will help you out.

@falconpilot

I have a PM1440GT and did the VFD conversion myself. You may have seen my posting on the details of my solid state conversion.
VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

I am very happy with my machine. You are correct that any conversion takes effort, and you say you do not want to do it yourself. Even getting a conversion kit from Mark will require some effort on your part to install. A phase converter will not get you variable speed and so you might want to reconsider the single phase motor option. It is a bummer to get a new machine and then have to wait until you can complete the conversion just to see it turn. However, I just checked and the PM site says all PM1440GT versions ares on back order, but if Mike says they just got them then maybe that is not the case.

Matt is the owner of PM and he is very hands on. He travels a lot as he seems to do it all.... so I am not surprised you can not get him on the phone. I live in Pgh and have visited PM facilities several times and have visited with several of the guys, including Matt. They always try their best to help you out. But I doubt that they are going to install a VFD for you as there is probably no reasonable way to support you. If you use the sales@... email and ask him he may pick it up. Anyway, Mike's advice to you seems to be accurate and he maybe able to tell you if they will be getting the single phase or just the 3 phase version.

If you go for another machine stay with the Taiwan made machines. Usually they are labeled with the phrase "Ultra" precision.

If I, as a user, can answer any specific questions about my 1440GT 3 phase machine for you would be happy to try do so.

With the dockworker's strike all machines may soon be in short supply for a while.

Good luck.
Dave

Everything I've read on here says that Matt is guy to go too with questions and requests.
Actually He isn't always the best guy. His Shipper/receiver knows the up-to-date info on what is coming when, and what it will cost to ship to you. There are better guys to talk about features, and those guys can answer any general questions also. I've had the very best experience on the phone with everyone at PM, and if the guy I'm talking to doesn't know, they give me to the right guy every time.

I only have single phase, but want to buy the three phase machine.
Why? especially if you don't want to wire a VFD in yourself? To convert a lathe it is comparatively more work than rewiring a mill for VFD. PM is a busy shop, and you cannot always count on the guy you need to be available, but I have gotten very good turn around, usually within 1 or 2 business days.

@MikeWi has given you solid advice.

It sounds like you are in a rush, but I'd rather you take the time to make the right decision for you, PM or not.

It looks like your best option is to order the 1440-HVT-2 and get in line. Or get the PM 1440 GT and convert it later to 3ph/VFD. The components will not set you back just over $2000 USD - more like 900$ and about 20 hours of work. That's if you aren't too intimidated about the rewire. It takes time, but is not as hard as you might think. Lots of guys here will help you with the rewire. (and there's about 7 threads on how people have done it).

I got a 1-phase lathe and rewired out myself to three phase using help from this website. Never done it before, never used a lathe, yet found it easy. You can do it.

Last edited:
Back