Making semi-precision toolroom stones

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
I like many other have seen a video on utube of robin renzetti “I think” grind stones on his surface grinder and I knew I needed a set. I have a surface grinder but I do not have the combs or hold down plates that are required to hold material of this kind.
I had purchased a bunch of diamond plates to touch up carbide and such. Why not use the plates to surface the stones???
So I made a nice little fixture to hold the plate and support it. E22BCFF7-B512-4178-A8D5-5E40987B705A.jpeg
The plates are 3x6 I recessed it into the wood and then recessed two magnets into the wood to hold them in place while using. The plates sits proud of the wood surface.

1CF2F6BC-BF6C-41A3-B1ED-3B04DE697407.jpeg
Then for storing the rest of them. I built the holder from two pcs. of 3/4. So the top pc. I routed a 3/8 void in the bottom. Then the bottom pc I routed a 1/2 void in the top. So when glued together it has a sizable pocket in the side to store the other grits.
159349A5-1F22-433B-B563-8DB3C26899F7.jpeg
Back to the stones. I have a variety stones for deburring and such. So I took one that had some worn areas and all loaded up with material. I started with a 200grit plate squirted a little wd on the plate for lube and ran the stone across with even pressure for about 20 strokes. Flipped and you could see how it was leveling the stone out. Once I got full coverage with the 200 I jumped up to 600 gave it acouple strokes then finished with 1000 I think.
I honestly don’t know how the stones robin did are but I can imagine their perfect. That guys knowledge and attention to details is supreme. But the stones I did perform just like how his video showed. No scratching of the surface it just exposes the high spots and takes them down with light pressure.
Until I make the hold down combs this process seems to work very well. The plates were bought on amazon for acouple bucks a pc. I ended up getting from 200up to 2000 which is like paper smooth but was well worth the money even before I found this out. I recommend if your in the market for some great stones this method works good and diamond laps are great to have anyway.

Hi Cadillac,

Very interesting to read your post, I've just ordered a 300 grit diamond plate to do almost exactly what you have done. In my case to recover a very very old whetstone that has become hollow with use.

You will like the diamond plates. I went ever 200 between grits. I don’t know what grit would be best to finish with but with the 1000 the coarse side of one of those bench block stones with a fine and coarse on it felt like glass after the treatment. But yet works exactly as said. Be sure to update us on your results. Good luck

Hi Cadillac,

Will do ! I'm away for the most of the day, it should be an interesting exercise.

Great tip Cadillac, thanks!

I have the India stones but are the round ones. But I was shocked how quick through use it went convex on me. I have a set of the HF diamond plates so upon reading your post and thought why not. Took some elbow grease but viola, flat again! The HF's are plastic backed so I used some stick on sandpaper on my little surface plate and it kept the diamond plates perfectly in place while I worked the stone back and forth while rotating every other stroke.

Cadillac
which stones did you get from Amazon. I may have to try this.

Well I made a mistake I purchased them from eBay. They are like 3”x6”. I had bought 8” round ones from amazon for a bench grindero_O. These are rigid too but recommend a backer for the most rigidity.
A3A5B8E0-DA5E-49F9-B701-3F4470B226F8.png

The Starrett hold downs that Robin Renzetti uses are pretty simple, if you have a surface grinder, you could make your own, or pick em up on ebay, they show up from time to time for not much $. I bought two sets of stones,to make my precision stones, cheapo no name stones and spendy Norton, they both work excellently after being ground on SG, which is a filthy procedure.

I like many other have seen a video on utube of robin renzetti “I think” grind stones on his surface grinder and I knew I needed a set. I have a surface grinder but I do not have the combs or hold down plates that are required to hold material of this kind.
I had purchased a bunch of diamond plates to touch up carbide and such. Why not use the plates to surface the stones???
So I made a nice little fixture to hold the plate and support it. View attachment 276393
The plates are 3x6 I recessed it into the wood and then recessed two magnets into the wood to hold them in place while using. The plates sits proud of the wood surface.

View attachment 276394
Then for storing the rest of them. I built the holder from two pcs. of 3/4. So the top pc. I routed a 3/8 void in the bottom. Then the bottom pc I routed a 1/2 void in the top. So when glued together it has a sizable pocket in the side to store the other grits.
View attachment 276392
Back to the stones. I have a variety stones for deburring and such. So I took one that had some worn areas and all loaded up with material. I started with a 200grit plate squirted a little wd on the plate for lube and ran the stone across with even pressure for about 20 strokes. Flipped and you could see how it was leveling the stone out. Once I got full coverage with the 200 I jumped up to 600 gave it acouple strokes then finished with 1000 I think.
I honestly don’t know how the stones robin did are but I can imagine their perfect. That guys knowledge and attention to details is supreme. But the stones I did perform just like how his video showed. No scratching of the surface it just exposes the high spots and takes them down with light pressure.
Until I make the hold down combs this process seems to work very well. The plates were bought on amazon for acouple bucks a pc. I ended up getting from 200up to 2000 which is like paper smooth but was well worth the money even before I found this out. I recommend if your in the market for some great stones this method works good and diamond laps are great to have anyway.
Look here, Cadillac:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/precision-ground-toolroom-stones.59776/page-3#post-531410
Start at post 83, then read to the end of the thread.

Back