Making gear cutters to match an existing gear

ppod-

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

This is all very new to me and experts will certainly frown ... but maybe this will help other folks new to machining. TLDR: below is a VERY quick and dirty way I was able to get a better shape for a hand-ground gear tooth cutter.

I want to make gears for the Sherline threading attachment outside of the range that Sherline sells. I would be willing to buy a commercial cutter, but no luck (I got one, 24 pitch, correct "number", but it did not seem to fit and was dull...). By the way, could someone on this forum advise if there is a matching one out there??? Sherline had no info for me on this. OK, so the only option, and Sherline's suggestion, and generally a good thing to have experience in, is to grind one myself.

I ground one as an experiment and it kind of worked, but I could not grind the cutter to the right shape. I believe that was to a large extent because I could not repeatably hold the cutter and the template gear next to each other in the same position to see where to grind off the next tiny bit; every time it would be angled a little differently and I was chasing my tail.

I wanted to make a holder where a gear and the cutter being ground could be held next to each other in a repeatable way. I had / have an overall design in my head, but I realized after agonizing over this for a while that it's outside of the scope of what I can do at this time. But I was able to make a MUCH less ambiguous version with three business cards, six staples, and two spring clamps. OK, and something flat to clamp it down to. It worked VERY well in relation to the effort invested.

Please find the pictures below. I scribed some lines along the center line of the bottom business card to help with alignment; they are probably invisible in the pictures. I cut one card into four pieces, stapled two of them (stacked), put the cutter blank next to them, stapled two more pieces on the other side. This worked out very well indeed; the cutter "clicks" into this "channel", can slide back and forth, but does not move in any other way (to the extent relevant for this low-precision operation). I cut up another card into four pieces, stapled them on top of each other, and put the template gear on top; this is needed because it is thinner than the cutter. The whole thing was kind of flimsy so I used the spring clamps and a piece of plastic as a backing; one of the clamps also holds the template gear; this also worked surprisingly well, the gear would not move, I had to decrease the pressure on the clamp to tweak its position.

It would be nice to have a hole in the area where the cutter and the gear meet so that you can shine the light from the other side. I did not do it because I wanted to see those scribed lines on the card for aligning the gear, but I think I will find a way next time.

I started with a standard bench grinder, then a diamond wheel on a tiny benchtop polisher to get closer. Resulting shape is not perfect but a lot better than last time. Most importantly, this time I felt that the thing I am struggling with is the grinding, not the holding-of-gear-and-cutter-next-to-each-other, so it feels like a step forward.

Extra observation 1: Sherline's gears have big "burrs" at the end of their teeth -- I am not even sure if that's the right name for it, they are like turned-over slices of aluminum. I guess they were made by a broaching-like process and that's a side effect? Any way, that probably does not affect the functionality because this outer edge of the tooth does not come into play, but it makes tooth shape irregular, makes gears harder to measure, looks ugly, and more to the point makes it a lot harder to use them as a template for a gear cutter. So I removed this burr on the lathe and lightly sanded the teeth. TBH I have not yet tested how that works, but it sure helped with the grinding operation. See one of the pictures (sorry about the poor quality but you will know exactly what I mean if you look at these gears under magnification) showing "as is" and "cleaned up" gears next to each other.

Extra observation 2: Sherline's pictures suggest that one would use the entire standard-length cutter blank in their gear cutting attachment. I had better results (as in, not stalling the lathe all the time) after cutting the blank in half (with a Dremel) so that the cutting part just slightly sticks out of the holder. (I suppose it might also help to use a heavier holder; maybe adapt their "chuck blank"? What do you think?)

Very best,
-Pavel

Attachments

• gear_cutter_result.jpg
    gear_cutter_result.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 34
  • sherline_teeth_burr.jpg
    sherline_teeth_burr.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 33
  • holder_overall_view.jpg
    holder_overall_view.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 33
  • holder_closer_view.jpg
    holder_closer_view.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 33
It would seem to me that the change gears would not be a diametral pitch, but instead would be a module form, that is, of metric origin, evidenced buy the fact that the teeth appear to be 20 degree pressure angle.

Sherline says they are 24 pitch, and gear size seems to go up by approximately 1.05mm per tooth, matching 24 pitch converted to metric, IIUC. But the commercial one I got on eBay was, I think, 14.5deg pressure angle, so that may be a part of the issue. Sherline would not say say what their pressure angle is, which is one reason I suspect it might not be a standard form. By the way, their other gear kind is 56 pitch. I have not seen that for sale anywhere. Thank you!

The tool doesn’t seem to have defined cutting edges, it may need to be sharpened and relieved to work better.
If you go to YouTube, Clickspring and This Old Tony both give some food for thought about cutting involute gears

I think you are coming close enough for a change gear. I used a similar approach 5 or 6 years ago to make a change gear for a friend's old lathe. I made one in acetal as a test. It worked and I never did make the intended one in steel. I figure the acetal isn't going to wear the mating gear wrong. The gear I made isn't used all the time so will likely last longer than I will. BTW it runs very quietly. I can also claim it is a safety feature, in case the lathe is crashed it will fail first.

Thank you Ulma Doctor. The cutter does have a sharp edge and I think reasonable "side relief", but what bothers me is that the "top" part is flat. I tried to give it an angle but somehow got it wrong and it ended up flat. It should in effect have a bit of an angle because it is a bit off-center in the holder, but probably not enough. If I mess with it now I'll mess up the shape (tried that on the previous attempt), but maybe a regrinding from scratch is unavoidable to get a good tool. And, yes, I watch their videos with great enjoyment but the gulf between their skills / setups and mine is so vast that it's mostly for entertainment only, so far.

Larry, that plastic in the photo is acetal that I just got from eBay to try for the next gear - thank you! Yes, safety feature is a compelling rationale! :)

Not sure if you are familiar with how Sherline does it: you crank the lathe by hand for thread cutting, with the little gear train held by a couple of screws hanging off the side, so to speak. The (only) upsides are that nothing major could possibly break or wear (I think), and the cost.

Not sure if you are familiar with how Sherline does it: you crank the lathe by hand for thread cutting, with the little gear train held by a couple of screws hanging off the side, so to speak. The (only) upsides are that nothing major could possibly break or wear (I think), and the cost.
I have no idea how a Sherline makes threads. My only experience is with my 1440 lathe. I have just fumbled my way thru by watching YT videos, Joe Pie's are among the best.

I use a cone shaped 1/4” shaft mounted stone to grind flycutters like that. The cone gives it the necessary side relief. Large diameter at the end.

Years ago Sheldon used one acetal gear in the drive train to act as a silencer and sacrificial gear should there be a crash

My Sheldon was built in 1960 and as far as I know still has the original acetal gear

Back