Make me a few custom shoulder bolts?

borges1

Registered
Registered
Hey all, i'm closing in on a final production details of a prototype tool i designed. Thus far i have been able to use as many off the shelf parts as i can, but there is a specific application shoulder bolt i think would be best served by a custom option. Please have a look at the drawing below of the bolt/screw i need if you are interested. The tool takes four of this bolt, but i'd like to have six made right now. Eventually i hope to need batches of a hundred or so, so if anyone has the capabilities of a larger quantity i would prefer to go that route. Give me a price for the six and for a hundred if you can.

The photo is of stock bolts from McMaster, they justs don't have the combo of ultra low profile (2mm) head and 5mm shoulder. all their thread lenghts are too long, but i was ablee to modify those. I can email the pdf plan if you are interested. The CAD is sketchup, and doesn't play well with conversions.

303SS 4mm hex drive preferred, but for my prototype i can accept a slot drive in any steel.

ps i have no lathe, or space for one, othwerwise id learn to make screws for this prototype!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-21 175412.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-21 175412.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 42
Oh, forgot to mention the fit requirements. I think this is the standard, but all my mcmaster bolts are measuring around 7.95mm on the shoulder diameter, which gives a perfect fit for my other parts to rotate on using a 8mm hole. But there is some play in that dimension.

Also, the stock bolts have undercut at the thread/shoulder intersection. Also fine, but i'd like to keep in to no more than the stock ones shown for strength. The bolts will bear some lateral forces.

I have a suggestion for improving the prototype producibility, assuming that cosmetic appearance of my suggestion is acceptable to you.

The suggestion is: Use an off-the-shelf CRES set screw to provide the thread and hex socket (3 mm, not 4 mm). A 14 mm long set screw is easily shortened to 13 mm with a flat point as your graphic depicts. Make the shoulder/head (tapped through) as a separate part. The two can be epoxied or Loctited together. YMMV

I have a suggestion for improving the prototype producibility, assuming that cosmetic appearance of my suggestion is acceptable to you.

The suggestion is: Use an off-the-shelf CRES set screw to provide the thread and hex socket (3 mm, not 4 mm). A 14 mm long set screw is easily shortened to 13 mm with a flat point as your graphic depicts. Make the shoulder/head (tapped through) as a separate part. The two can be epoxied or Loctited together. YMMV
Im unfamiliar with CRES screws. and not finding them anywhere. Can you link me one? I'm certainly open to alternatives, and i think i get your idea. Your saying use the set screw as a stud in the fixed part, then a sleeve with head as the 'shoulder'. something like an architectural post bolt/binding barrell sleeve? Ill think about that. it only really works for production if i can find a stock sleeve that works.

Doesn't look like mcmaster even has 5mm barrel length as an option. It also seems like the diameters are limited to small sizes, and i do need some lateral strength above what 8-32 can offer.

CRES is an artifact of my aerospace career. It stands for Corrosion REsistant Steel. In more common terms, Stainless Steel. You did specify 303SS.

I expect satisfying any "production" quantity requirement will be a "special" custom part, and you will pay dearly for a small quantity (<10,000) or need to buy a barrel full to get the piece price down.

As I stated, "I have a suggestion for improving the prototype producibility". I doubt you will find any "stock sleeve that works".

For six pieces, I would rather shorten an off-the-shelf set screw, make a separate shoulder/head part, and bond them together than make as per your graphic.

A tool called a rotary broach would probably be used to create the 4 mm hex recess you specified. IMO, rotary broaches are not ubiquitous in the hobby community so that may limit the sources for your one-piece design.

Last edited:
Having over 50 years of designing and building prototype stuff, it's at this point I normally stop and do a design review. I ask the question: What could I do differently to make it better, faster, cheaper? And maybe most importantly use off-the shelf parts. Sometimes I get pretty creative. This may not fit what you are doing, but it might be worth a look.

A short story: Set the wayback machine to about 1972 or so. I was building a prototype widget but had no lathe or mill, only some basic hand tools and a drill press. I sent a drawing out the the local machine shop and had 4 pieces built. I was shocked enough at the bill that the next week I ordered a new Craftsman lathe, and found a used Craftsman Shaper and a Mill. I still sub out some stuff for laser cutting and the like, but retain the capability of doing it all in-house if I need to.

Jim - a big part of why i got a mill was to do my won prototypes. Id have a lathe, but really have no space. I may put a small one underfoot regardless at some point. Yeah, for fun, but i also want to see if some of my ideas are commercially viable. I've also used the mill for random work related things even more than i expected - modifying hinges, cleaning up stock parts, making widgets out of metal instead of plastic that are superior. This particular tool i am designing is commercially unavailable, and i do think there is some market, though not huge. There are other ideas in the pipeline, so a full pricing of this tool is a learning experience i will apply to those other ideas to see if they are viable. None of them may be.

What could I do differently to make it better, faster, cheaper? And maybe most importantly use off-the shelf parts. Sometimes I get pretty creative.
Without a lathe, off the shelf round parts have been my design parameter from the start - and most of them i have made work. I already have redesigned several major parts to be eliminated or altered. Most significantly to utilize online laser cutting services at great costs savings. All the aluminum parts are designed to be made from common sized as much as possible. Stock fasteners, DRO, handles etc. This one screw is the outlier and really needs to be short, with a substantial thread, very little cap height and a specific shoulder size. The large thread size and stubbiness of it seem to make it an oddball. I also always like another set of brain cells on my ideas to see what they come up with for alternatives - since i know no one with the relevant experience collected here, this is one of my last stops before moving on. If i ask here i'm usually past half a dozen major revisions and countless tweaks. Or i am ignorant beyond knowing where to start.

CRES is an artifact of my aerospace career. It stands for Corrosion REsistant Steel. In more common terms, Stainless Steel. You did specify 303SS.

I expect satisfying any "production" quantity requirement will be a "special" custom part, and you will pay dearly for a small quantity (<10,000) or need to buy a barrel full to get the piece price down.

As I stated, "I have a suggestion for improving the prototype producibility". I doubt you will find any "stock sleeve that works".

For six pieces, I would rather shorten an off-the-shelf set screw, make a separate shoulder/head part, and bond them together than make as per your graphic.

A tool called a rotary broach would probably be used to create the 4 mm hex recess you specified. IMO, rotary broaches are not ubiquitous in the hobby community so that may limit the sources for your one-piece design.
All helfpful. Next time i'll know. Im aware of the scale cost per part issue. I was hoping 100 count batches would be enough to reduce per screw cost to the point of viability. As of yet i have no cost numbers so i don't actually know; getting the actual cost numbers is just as important as getting the part. If 10k units are required to make these screws cost effective trying to make and sell this tool doesn't work. This will be a $1-3000 tool i expect so four screws that are $10 each in a final product isn't a deal breatker for me. but $50 each probably is.

I saw a video of a rotary broach and it seemed a little like voodoo to me. Super cool. Never know who has one......

I do like your barrel sleeve/set screw idea. Seems i'm always after a custom or hard to find shoulder bolt and that idea opens up lots of options!

It was suggested on this forum (for a different set of parts i posted for suggestions on) that i post here to see if anyone wanted to bid. I still may post those parts once i finalize some tweaks. I really appreciate the knowledge shared here, so id be happy to have a HM member make me some parts and get paid. Thus far no one is interested in pricing these screws, so i doubt there willb be interest in more complex parts.

That. Much cheaper, quicker and simpler than trying to get someone to make the screw for you in one piece. Red Loc-Tite or JB-Weld would probably hold it well enough, or it could be drilled and pinned together.

Back