Magnet pan

Old Everything Tech

Registered
Registered
Has anyone thought of placing a magnet tool pan under the bed way or for that matter on the bed way to catch small metal shavings.

Yes but how to clean it? And if you do a lot of non-ferrous it wouldn't be effective
that's easy. the rubber pulls off and releases the chips from the bottom, and I have broken my magnets free of the pan.
But I don't use them to catch chips, no point, I'd still have to clean the chips that miss the pan.

One thing that always confuses me is how the pan works. In most cases, the magnets stop working when a ferrous keeper it attached to a mag, but in the case of mag pans, they are ferrous and continue to work. If the pan were plastic or aluminum, copper, etc.. I could see it.
why does it still work?

I put magnets in those sleeves that endmills come in. Push the chips away from the opening and pull the magnet out to clean. Works well for cleaning chips off the magnet. That said, the magnet idea didn't work well for me so I abandoned it.

GsT

Depending on your personal preferences, this might be good for some people. I keep my chuck keys on magnets. But I worked with a guy who hated magnets in the machine shop so much that he’d break and toss any he found in our shared workplace. But unless you’ve got some kind of blower strong enough to push flying chips toward the magnet, you’re just going to get the same chips that gravity would have given you.

I put magnets in those sleeves that endmills come in. Push the chips away from the opening and pull the magnet out to clean. Works well for cleaning chips off the magnet. That said, the magnet idea didn't work well for me so I abandoned it.

GsT
sorry just stole that idea, yea not sorry lol
i'm thinking that a magnet on a shaft to be inserted into the endmill shaft holder that is long enough to get the magnet to the bottom of the holder. pick up chips and then pull out the magnet while over the chip container. I know a ziploc bag works but i have issues with the bag holding onto the chips and it snags things while i wipe it over surfaces.

Last edited:
When I use a magnet to pick up chips I put it in a plastic bag like a Ziploc first. When the magnet is removed the chips fall away.

Back