Machine ‘Lockout’ Rules Are Being Violated. It’s Killing Workers.

MaverickNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member

”Lockouts are designed to prevent employees from being hurt by machines that start unexpectedly. Every year, an average of 85 people are killed and 364 suffer amputations, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Among manufacturers, violations related to the lockout standard are the most common safety citations issued by OSHA inspectors.”

We had a system that maintenance had locked out at one place I worked a few decades back. Somebody left the key in the lock for convenience. A temp custodian who didn’t speak/read any of the languages on the lockout tag removed it and turned it on, thinking it was the power for his floor polisher.

We were blamed, not for the key in the lock, as that was maintenance’s fault, but for failure to maintain awareness of temp workers who might not be able to read the tag languages. This was the union making sure the professional science/engineering staff were to blame for what was their problem - maintenance and custodial care were the same union. Management was happy to have us blamed instead of them. Lose-Lose-Lose.

I would think the responsibility for training and awareness would rest solely on the shoulders of the individuals' supervisor, not the professional staff, or anyone else for that matter. It sounds like management didn't have the policies and procedures in place to educate and protect the workforce.

Where I worked failure to comply with lockout/tagout procedures was one of the few offences that could get you fired on the spot. In our case ALL employees in the department were required to take lockout/tagout training. Everyone from the department manager to the custodian had to take the course and sign off before they were allowed to start working.

Had an argument with a Production Supervisor maybe 20 years ago: a mechanic who had a piece of equipment locked out was late coming to work and the Supervisor wanted to just cut the lock off and run the equipment.

I worked at a company that had strict safety rules, but they still got broken all the time. At the plant I worked at, the maintenance guys would skip lockout/ tagout, even after getting written up for it. “It’s just a quick job.” Or “there is already a lock on it.”

There was one case where a crew was working on a pump station and needed safety equipment from another plant to do the job properly. They got the equipment, then did the job without using it. The supervisor was fired and the crew suspended for a few days. The only way to get people to take safety seriously is to fire the offenders, but management needs to accept that the job will also take longer. Sometimes that is the harder part for middle managers to understand.

At my first and last industry jobs, the local Safety Officers were promoted after many years of excellent line service, when they were paid too much just to be great supervisors, I guess. While very familiar with production, the safety job can include electrical, chemical, biological, machinery, sound, particulates, liquids, gasses, etc. - way too much for many HS graduates (no offense intended) to handle well after a few webinars. But since Safety is usually part of Operations, they don’t want to spend $$$ to hire an experienced industrial safety engineer when they can promote from the production floor.

Most of my work has been been biology/chemistry, with some production machinery involved. I learned early on, to never dismiss any safety citations as “stupid” - there might be a “stupid” regulation you just have to comply with and, more importantly, the “safety is our #1 job” mantra wins every time.

At my 1st job out of school, I had to buy caustic liquids containers and cabinets to store plastic jugs of particulate-filtered tap water, as the Safety Officer had watched a chemical safety webinar saying “purified water” was highly caustic. True that, but particulate filtration and chemical purification filtration are two very different things. But I could tell I was going to lose that battle and it was $$$ spent on safety, which wasn’t going to be questioned.

At my 2nd & last job, I had to buy lockable clear shelf enclosures to store plastic bottles of Sterile Water for Injection, as the Safety Officer was concerned that a custodian might knock a bottle off the shelf with a broom handle and break the bottles, with the label facing down, so nobody would know if it was water or some toxic stuff. Before I could stop him, one of my lab guys grabbed two bottles and bounced them against the tile floor, to show him they were unbreakable. Big mistake. How do we know that *every* bottle was unbreakable? What could have been solved by something cheaper/simpler now required custom lockable clear shelf enclosures with tubs draining into a holding tank in case of unexpected ruptures. The power of “Safety is #1” knows no limits… And, wrong or right, Safety Officers usually love their power over PhDs and Principal Engineers.

In both cases, my “go-along to get-along” philosophy worked, as the two guys would come to me to informally discuss stuff. They didn’t feel challenged and I was able to mentor them into becoming better professionals. That’s the part of my work I remember most fondly - helping the people I worked with do good work they could be proud of.

My work in the mid-70s before all this was as an industrial hot asphalt roofer. I saw people burned to death, fall to their death, pass out from heat stroke, roofing polymer fumes, etc. I quit and went to school when I found out they guys I thought were in their 50s were actually in their early 30s - the job aged those it didn’t kill.

A friend, now passed, locked out 600 volt machine to work in the panel. AH super cut the lock off and turned the machine on. Friend woke up in hospital a while later. Super was not fired, but knuckle sandwich was applied later in the parking lot. He was lucky.
Pierre

Unfortunately, it is a rather sad state of affairs amongst humanity that no matter what safety protocols and protections are in place, someone, somewhere, will, somehow, find a way to defeat them, the result usually being another statistic being added to the KSI database.

Heck, even a centrally controlled, remote located "lockout" system for machinery/equipment power and/or access hatches/doors would not solve it because someone would find a way to defeat the safety that could bring, irrespective of whether CI switches were in use or not.

Sad, yes, but, unfortunately, true.

The main driver for the lockout ragout procedures where I worked was an accident back in the late 1970’s. We had our own power plant to provide both steam and electricity to power the plant.

One hot and humid summer evening one of the roof mounted 24,000 volt transformers started acting up. The shift supervisor shut it down and he an electrician went out to inspect it. They removed the access cover and shined in a flashlight.

Unbeknownst to them another supervisor came along and not knowing why the transformer was shut down reactivated it.

The result was a huge arc from the transformer to the inspecting supervisors flashlight. The arc went through the supervisor and out through his thigh and foot.

Unfortunately the electrician was holding the supervisors belt to steady him. The current blew a hole in the supervisors foot and thigh. It also blew off the electricians right hand.

Both survived but had permanent physical and mental injuries. The supervisor retired within a year and the electrician became an alcoholic. All because someone didn’t know why a transformer was shut down and didn’t know enough to ask why before reactivating it.

Last edited:
Lock out tag out in my career went from, sure go ahead use your own lock, we will cut it if we cant find you. Basically meaning nothing, or worse we have no problem killing you if you inconvenience us. To legislation and now criminal charges for cutting off a lock. I have pictures of 3 phase 600vac breakers locked out with tape and tywraps. Even with a system in place, even with ohs rulings and guidelines. People still refuse to follow even the easiest rules. Safety's foundation is based on death, it is paved in blood. There is still a perception that it is just busy bodies interfering with those trying to get the job done. We as in humans do not know what the long term affects of being shocked are, there is no data. One of the stats floating around is that less then 1 in 10000 shocks are recorded. I believe it is even lower as in 1 in 50000. Some people still think it is a right of passage to take a hit, it is not. Its roulette on if it will kill or not.

In my job I use 3 examples of fatalities with my students. 120vac 1ph was a home owner who was electrocuted by a receptacle, the receptacle was removed and pulled out of the wall by a plumber who was there installing a new boiler for the floor heat, the home owner helping bent down and the exposed wiring contacted the home owners neck killing him. 480vac 3ph, an oil worker was electrocuted by an ungrounded piece of equipment. The equipment was a push button starter used to power a trash pump in the sub of a drilling rig. The starter was not maintained, the bonding (ground) in the starter had rusted off. When the worker, pressed the button he was electrocuted. (I was employed by the same company at the time). High voltage 3ph worker contacted overhead power lines, while changing a sign a worker contacted the lines above. The lines had been moved the year prior and it is believed the worker did not know they had been moved. This was Dec23 in the evening.

Safety has come a long way in the last 20 years, but we still have a long way to go.

Back