Lift rails too flexible

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!

I have a little problem. I have created an A-Frame lift topped by an electric hoist. This is a very light duty (<100 lbs) lift, but it is rather tall. It also needs to be stored until use, so it has to break down easily. The design I have works pretty well, except for one thing. In order to be able to erect the lift in the relatively restricted areas where it gets used, I made the collapsed lift 16 feet tall with a telescoping section that extends to make the lift a total of 26 feet tall. The rails on the telescoping section are made of 3/4" x 3/4" square Aluminum tubing with a 1/16" wall. In order to raise the telescoping section, I reel out the hoist cable, run it through a pulley attached to a cross-bar at the bottom (in black below) of the extension rails (in red below), and attach the end hook to an attachment point a few feet above the maximum height of the cross-bar. I then reel in the hoist, which easily raises the telescoping section towards it maximum height, where the rails are secured with lynch pins. (See the cross bar 4 feet below the bushings.) The problem is the rails are too flexible. Since the hook cannot be perfectly centered, there is always a small lateral force which causes the rails to flex way too far. I am going to relieve the plastic bushings at the top of the A-Frame and grease them, which should help considerably, but I think the rails still need to be stiffened.

Since the center bore in the rails is 1/2", I think the perfect stiffener would be a pair of 12mm steel rods about 9 feet long. Cold-rolled square bar stock would be excellent, but round stock should work. Stainless steel would be even better, of course, but would be much too expensive. The rods also do not necessarily have to be monolithic. Three rods about 3 feet long in each rail should be fine. I am having trouble finding any 12mm steel of an appropriate length and a reasonable cost.

Does anyone have a good source for some 12mm steel bars / rod? A US seller is preferred - I can't wait forever.

Does anyone perhaps have a better idea for stiffening the rails? I could put in another cross-bar lower down, I suppose.

1672552030252.png1672552264267.png
1672552285764.png

1672552313134.png

Last edited:
I think that we need more information. What are you lifting and where into what? What you have is not nearly enough bracing and gussets. There is no side bracing. The long unsupported tubes could easily buckle. Please forgive me if I'm hard on you, but this is a safety issue.

Agree that without bracing this structure could crumple and twist with very light side loads. Depending on what this is used for, could matter a lot. More info would help us help. You have a very high length to structure width ratio, with hardly any bracing. Might only take a few changes to make it more rigid, but need to understand the use a bit better.

yes we definately need to know what you are lifting with it being that tall and flimsy. I take that it will be used outside since it is 16' to 26' tall. we can help if you tell us more. Dave

I'd be much afraid of that. Much too light!
Aaron
No, it isn't. This is not the entire device, by a long shot. I have not shown any of the cross bracing or the concrete blocks that attach to the base, or the leveling feet. I am only showing the bits relevant to the riser rails.

I'd be much afraid of that. Much too light!
Aaron
No, it isn't. This is not the entire device, by a long shot. I have not shown any of the cross bracing or the concrete blocks that attach to the base, or the leveling feet. I am only showing the bits relevant to the riser rails
yes we definately need to know what you are lifting with it being that tall and flimsy. I take that it will be used outside since it is 16' to 26' tall. we can help if you tell us more. Dave
I don't see why. What difference does it make? I am an engineer, BTW, so I know how to calculate safety limits for loads.

There is more than one item being lifted in more than one location. The heaviest is a 13 foot tall candy cane made from 4" PVC drain pipe. It's about 60 lbs, maybe 70 at most. I am also lifting some porcupine balls, about 25 lbs for the larger one.

The candy cane is also the highest, because it has to be lifted above a 12 ft tall steel pipe. The cane then slides down over the pole.

Agree that without bracing this structure could crumple and twist with very light side loads. Depending on what this is used for, could matter a lot. More info would help us help. You have a very high length to structure width ratio, with hardly any bracing. Might only take a few changes to make it more rigid, but need to understand the use a bit better.
The side loading is less than a pound, except when the riser is being raised into place. There is plenty of cross bracing (way overkill, actually) on the A-frame itself. The only thing with no cross bracing is the telescoping section, which is more than strong enough for the near zero lateral load.

All I am asking for is an inexpensive means for stiffening the rails.

I think that we need more information. What are you lifting and where into what? What you have is not nearly enough bracing and gussets. There is no side bracing. The long unsupported tubes could easily buckle. Please forgive me if I'm hard on you, but this is a safety issue.
What, exactly, constitutes a safety issue, when no one is close enough to the structure to be touched even if the entire thing toppled?

What's more, the rails are almost (but not quite) strong enough to lie horizontally and hang the entire load without exceeding their elastic limit. Since the actual side loading is almost zero, it's not going to be a problem. Indeed, it hasn't been a problem over the last ten years I have been using the rig. The reason the issue has only just cropped up is this is the first year the rails are mobile. Prior to this they were fixed in place. The problem was it took four people to erect the frame. This was not only very expensive, but getting four people together at one time is a real problem.

Back