Left Hand Thread Machine Screw Source

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need a reverse thread M5x16 flat (countersink) screw. Not many places carry them & if they do they are only in American standard. In the mean time I purchased some SHCSs from Mcmaster to get me up & running but I need a flat/countersink head. Anyone know a source for low quantities?

Several manufacturers use a M5 left handed flat heads as a drill chuck retaining screw on hand drills. Milwaukee part #05-74-0513 is M5 x 25mm .8 pitch socket head. Hitachi uses a M5 retaining screw also but they have a screwdriver slot. Part #992-077 M5 x 17 or #317-995 M5 x 15

http://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/milwaukee-chuck-retaining-screw-05-74-0513

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/flat-screw-left-hand-m5x17-p-185018.html

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/flat-screw-left-hand-m5x15-p-185137.html

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll definitely check those out.

Turns out that LH SHCS I ordered from Mcmaster for $14 was just for 1 screw! I thought it was a box of them so I cancelled the order. I wouldn't even need a whole box of them anyway if it was. I called the manufacturer & they sell the screw for 49 cents so I ordered 4 but they didn't know if they had any in stock. Said he would have the guys in the warehouse check & possibly take them off machines if not. That was Friday & my CC hasn't been charged yet.

I couldn't wait that long. Figured I might as well try making my own. I have no way or know how to make a screw head (except for a slot head) so I made one using a M6 screw & had to get a little creative. Although the minor dia of the M6x1.0 thread was smaller than the major of the M5x.08L thread it turned out ok & most importantly it works!

I bought a tapping head for the lathe a couple of months ago. I only have a keyless chuck for the lathe so reversing the tap won't work. Which reminds me, I have a 14N sitting here that I need to rebuild.

The tapping head is nicely made & works pretty well. I made a mandrel for the M6 screw so I could hold it in the chuck to center drill it for a center.

Img_8971.jpg

I chucked up a 5/16" drive PH3 bit to hold the screw head. Wasn't sure about this but it worked pretty well. Turned down the diameter as far I could go for the M5 major diameter. Still plenty of the M6x1.0 thread left. I also turned down the diameter of the head & the countersink.

Img_8980.jpg

I hate cutting metric threads cause I don't like to thread without using the halfnuts. I didn't feel like swaping gears to either. Turns out .8 metric pitch is .0315" & 32 TPI is .0313" so I decided to give 32 TPI a try. I put on some Dykem cause it was hard to see the 32 TPI over the 1.0 metric starting off.

Img_8981.jpg

Despite the overlap in the 2 thread pitches it came out pretty well.The M5x.8L screw I made is in the middle. The screw on the left is a RH M5x.8x16. The M6x1.0 screw on the right is what I start out with.
Img_8988.jpg

Last edited:
Back