Leadscrew for Taiwan Lathe Wanted

ShagDog

Registered
Registered
I have this 8x16 lathe that I really like. Here is a link to when I first got it. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/select-lathe-model-816b.85227/#post-765245.
It is a Taiwan lathe and very heavy for an 8x16, unlike the current 8x16 china lathes. It also has backgears and QCGB.

Runs great still and very capable. However, the longitudinal feed leadscrew is showing some wear; but, I have not noticed any effect upon its accuracy. In any event, I would like to replace the leadscrew, if I can find one. The size appears to be about 19.97mm or about .7875". I count 8 tpi. It is 29" long. Not too sure about the accuracy of my measurements. Anyone know where I can get one?

I was wondering if a screw from an Atlas would work- they are 8 tpi but only 0.75" so probably not

Thanks for the idea, Mark. But, like you say, probably won't work. By the way, the half nuts are in very good condition.

You know, on second thought that Atlas idea might be workable if you could adjust the halfnuts to close a bit further together
OR adapt a pair of Atlas halfnuts to your machine OR fabricate a pair of substitute halfnuts and keep your originals original
The Atlas screw would need some machining obviously for length at least

The other option would be to find a current import lathe that uses a similar screw. Grizzly for example

Last edited:
Back