Lead Hammer

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I made a mold yesterday so I could pour some lead to make a couple hammers. The set up looks kind of crude but the final results looked pretty good. Everyone should have a pretty lead hammer!!

20130316_165335_resized.jpg20130316_165415_resized.jpg20130316_165454_resized.jpghammer.jpg

20130316_165335_resized.jpg 20130316_165415_resized.jpg 20130316_165454_resized.jpg hammer.jpg

That looks much nicer than the one I poured in a cardboard tube!

Yes Jeff I turned it just enough to clean up the pock marks and faced both ends. A couple passes with a 5/8" bit for the handle. Add a 75 cent handle and you're in business.

Very Nice! Send us a pic in 6 months! It's gonna break your heart to use it!

useful tool. i'll bet i pick one up every day to adjust something with it . i have a regular mold and have several around the shop

I've used a lead hammer for years typically a 10 - 15 pounder with a piece of 1/2 pipe serving as the handle. When the head breaks apart I save the pieces and re cast it using a large soup can as a mold. I doesn't look pretty like yours but it's a great tool to have. As a precaution to anyone who uses one I never take mine into a food or pharmaceutical plant. As we all know lead is poisonous when ingested.

Last edited:
Dumb question I should ask but how did you hold the two half's of the mold together for the pour and did you cast the handle into the hammer? I picked up a beat up hammer at a flea market and planned to recast it so this thread is timely.

M.L. Woy

my commercial one has handles just like a bullet or fishing sinker mold. it has it's own ladle built in to melt the lead in with a volume just enough to fill the mold. quite clever.

Back