Jones and Shipman 540 - spindle

MarkoMV

Registered
Registered
As this is my first post here, let me say hello and introduce myself.
I am a full time blade-smith, and a hobby machinist from Serbia
Love working with steel, that is why I recently bought a surface grinder
The folding knives actually do require (more like benefit) precision of a surface grinder but the fixed blades not so much, but I still like to make them to a high precision standard, as ground stock in my experience is much better to work with, lay out lines etc...

Grinder I ended up buying is a Jones and Shipman 540, the price was more then fair, and the condition looked incredible (I am mostly referring to the ways)
Also the machine is just the right size, perfect.

I do not know the year or the exact model this grinder is, if anyone has that info and or a manual for it, that would be amazing!

Now the reason I am writing this is that I without realizing bought one with an air bearing spindle. (originally I thought it was some kind of lubrication system)
Yes, sure it is better in terms of precision, micron (.001mm) indicator does not even jitter when put to it, but it uses a lot of air, and someone said to me they are not that rigid, as they are meant for very light super precision applications.
I have yet to grind with it, so this is all speculation.

Rest of the machine is very good, everything works and is not worn.

Should I try to find an original bearing spindle, and if so where?
I also have an option of retro fitting this to using a abrasive belt (turning it to a surface belt grinder), that will never grind as accurate as a stone I am aware, but would allow me to use different grits easily.
But I can not bring myself to do that to a machine like this, feels very wrong.

Hope to get some advise!

Here are some images:
viber_image_2024-09-15_10-16-51-463.jpg
viber_image_2024-09-15_10-17-06-250.jpg
viber_image_2024-09-15_23-58-02-310.jpg
viber_image_2024-09-15_23-58-02-383.jpg
zadnja strana.PNG

Back