Jacobs 16N chuck key

Campy

Registered
Registered
I have a Jacobs 16N ball bearing chuck made in Harrford Conn. which is suppose to take a K4 key. I have tried 3 different K4 keys and no luck anyone else have this problem or have a key that will fit my chuck? The chuck is in really nice shape I just need a key that fits. Is there a company that sells keys for my chuck? Thanks for the help, Campy

The hole that the K4 key fits into is .375". Take a 3/8 drill bit or reamer and clean out the holes. Once a while, I'll buy a new/used drill chuck that would have dings, crud in the holes. Next, check the OD of the pilot on the K4 chuck key. It should be a couple .003-.005 thousands smaller than the hole it goes into. Also check that the factory deburred the edges of the pilot on the chuck key. You never know now days what you are getting.

I have a Jacobs 16N ball bearing chuck made in Harrford Conn. which is suppose to take a K4 key. I have tried 3 different K4 keys and no luck anyone else have this problem or have a key that will fit my chuck? The chuck is in really nice shape I just need a key that fits. Is there a company that sells keys for my chuck? Thanks for the help, Campy
Just curious. Are the words on the chuck sunken in like reversed embossing or lightly etched, almost spray painted?

Steve

The words are sunk in. The hole is 3/8. It doesn't fit the teeth on the chuck. It seems like the teeth on the key are to close together. I will post a picture tomorrow of the problem. All 3 keys that I tried just don't go deep enough into the teeth area of the chuck. The hole isn't the issue. Campy

Fixed the sleeve had moved down. I pressed it back up and all is good. My #4 key works. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Campy

Campy,

Had the very same problem. Thank you big time for posting.

Rhee

Back