Is this good for lathe and drill bits?

It is decent for woodworking chisels and plane irons. Maybe knives. Things that are not HSS where you need to make sure not to lose the temper.

I was tempted to try one out a long time ago, but fought the urge, and am happier for it.

Belt grinders with a ceramic belt are best for lathe tools, but plain old 3450 RPM bench grinders work as well. Lots of good information in this thread...

There are also threads on drill bit grinding. I have a Drill Dr. and it works ok most of the time.

There are also threads on drill bit grinding. I have a Drill Dr. and it works ok most of the time.
I sharpen my drill bits with a grinder by hand. That works very well, but reading the Drill Doctor makes me very tempted to buy one.

I think DDoctor would cut less and produce more even sides compared with manual, but just my guess.

I have too many grinders to buy another. Not too long ago, I gave away an army surplus wet belt grinder. I had to clean up.

I sharpen my drill bits with a grinder by hand. That works very well, but reading the Drill Doctor makes me very tempted to buy one.

I think DDoctor would cut less and produce more even sides compared with manual, but just my guess.

I have too many grinders to buy another. Not too long ago, I gave away an army surplus wet belt grinder. I had to clean up.
The biggest issue with the drill dr is it’s reliance on flutes to determine the grind, so non-standard fluted drills don’t get sharpened correctly without manual intervention.

I use a bench grinder or belt sander. It's never been a problem hitting the 59' lip angle. The hardest part is getting each side of equal length and dead center. But I only use it drill a hole. If I need accuracy I'll bore it. Every once and while I'll get it prefect and see 2 equal spirals while drilling.

Back