Is it safe to TIG weld on the lathe?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I want to weld to different size rods together. I have a PM1127 lathe and I was thinking of holding one piece on the 3 jaw chuck and the other piece on the tailstock keyless chuck, then TIG weld the two pieces together straight

Yes you can. But the most important part is to attach the work clamp to the part and not the lathe. Current travels the path of least resistance. You don’t want that path to be through the lathe. It can easily damage bearings if the current arcs between the spindle and the bearing surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not if there are any circuit boards, on a lesser note the arc will look for a ground, and if your leads are not secure, or good quality, it may arc inside the machine to find ground. This is very much a wild a$$ guess on my part.

If you do, put the ground on the headstock part, not on the tailstock end.
I would also unplug the machine. After doing that, I would think that it will be fine.

Welding often deform metal. I would use other devices other than a lathe to hold them. Often, the deformity will needs to be factored in before welding so some machining can be done later to correct it.

For example, a tube/cylinder can be used to hold two round stick to make sure they line up to 1 thou. Then through holes on the tube, weld those around the connections. Then cut out the cylinder, weld the rest, then machine it, leave some margin for later cutting. Then straighten the rod using an indicator and a press, then make a final cut.

Maybe there are better methods. If you have one, please share.

Last edited:
Stacked angle iron might do the trick, you could weld two pieces to a bar with a space in-between, then stack additional pieces on one side to get your parts aligned. Shim stock if you need it really precise?

You could also chuck up both pieces on the lathe and center drill the ends you want to stick together, then use a rod to align.

John

I'd do it... if:
1. The ground of the welder is connected directly to the work being welded, no where else.
2. The lathe is electrically disconnected from any VFD, if so equipped.

I wouldn't weld on a lathe with electronics but If it's important to you to do so, put the welder ground on one half of the part and use an automotive booster cable to connect from one half of the part to the other. With both pieces grounded back to the welder it will make it nearly impossible for stray current to travel thru the machine.

Yes as long as the welding ground cable is firmly attached to the part and not connected to machine in any way also as has been suggested unplug machine. finally lay a welding blanket on machine under weld area, and if welding close to chuck make sure to protect it from splatter as well. As soon as the part is tacked release some pressure from tail stock as the part will expand as it heats up

Back