Infill plane

pacifica

RGL
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Infill plane,hammer and chisel I recently completed.
Plane is 10 " long by 2 1/4" wide, 7/16" aluminum bronze sole, .2" damascus steel sides, 5/16" O-1 steel blade, 360 brass cap and screw. Thuya burl for the infill.
It's balanced and heavy. I made over a dozen mock ups from wood and clay to get the proportions they way I wanted. A combination of metal and wood work.

Chisel is chrome vanadium, thuya and brass. Hammer is thuya and damascus steel.hand plane 4.jpg

Attachments

• hp3.jpg
    hp3.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 32
  • hp2.jpg
    hp2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Beautiful! I hope you have heirs to treasure that (and the very cool damascus hammer) when the time comes. Definitely heirloom stuff!

Nice work,

GsT

It is beautiful. But how does the plane work and feel?
It easily produces .003 " wood shavings. Chip breaker is concave at the end like on metal working tools. Plane is heavy with a very low center of gravity so it feels almost lie it is slightly magnetised when planing but still slides easily. The front tot fits the hand nicely and the rear infill is designed so the hand doesn't ride up into the underside of the blade( Notice chamfered edges). With the precise machining and heavy pieces of steel and brass it is easy and accurate to finely adjust the blade. The matching hammer helps also. If balanced on a flat edged piece of wood it can be pulled from the front with a attached string to produce a shaving( got to be sure it doesn"t fall).

thanks, Russ

Back