In Memorium: George Fetcho

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
This post is in memory of a dear friend. While not a member of this website directly, George has made a significant impact in my life and originally welcomed me into hobby machining and metal working. I wish to share a few brief words in his memory.

George Fetcho, age 80. Passed 8/23/2024.

I was in high school when I met George. He was our pool maintenance technician and as a member of the school swim team, I frequently had the opportunity to chat with him and get to know each other. George shared he was a "retired" tool and die maker, working for various manufacturers in the area. I was getting into some engineering and shop classes at the time and had the opportunity to first be introduced to CAD and a CNC router which we used to carve our name into wood clock holders and make coasters with the school crest. A local college donated some old CNC micro-mills and lathes to our high school. The teacher had no time, interest, or funds to get these working so I was offered the opportunity to take one home for my own use before they passed the lot on to another school or threw them away. I mentioned the find to George one day and my father and I were offered to come visit him at his home shop for some machining lessons.

George had purchased a Gorton knee mill and pantograph (affectionately known as the Red Devil) from his previous employer which was living in his garage along with a 10" lathe and a career worth of precision measuring tools, cutters, and fixtures. He had also purchased a Taig CNC mill used to engrave birdhouses, firearms, fine woodworking, plaques, and other small items as a hobby business. George was gruff and sharp when this clumsy kid would bump or drop something that cost far more than I could understand at the time, but he was also incredibly patient, kind, and generous with his time. Over many months and years he taught me to square stock, bore precision holes, make fixtures, use CAD and CAM, and shared the names and functions of all the tools of the trade.

As my passion for machining grew, George was always a mentor and a friend whom I could call and share my latest project or help me finish the complicated touches on a part I couldn't yet machine. I never had friends in person who had much interest in my metalworking hobbies, but George was always interested and willing to hear what I was up to.

In my adult life, time for this hobby has become less plentiful, but we remained close as I learned about the house projects he was working on, and I shared photos of my family and the adventures we were embarking on.

George passed away unexpectedly last Friday, within 24 hours of contracting COVID while attending a short stay at a physical therapy and rehab clinic.

George leaves behind a loving wife, Sherry, and son, George Jr. He was a good man, a loving husband, and a dear friend. I will miss him greatly.

Mike

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss.

It is always a shock to the system when we lose anybody but you had a really great connection outside of the usual acquaintances and family. I had a similar friend here that I wish I would have had as much time with as you did with George. I only got to know Horst for the last 7-8yrs. He was 83 when I first started stopping and yakking as he did projects in his garage. What a life. Was 5-6yrs old at the end of WWII in Germany. Was apprenticed at 16 to an instrument manufacturer and after that went into the aircraft industry installing and repairing aircraft instruments. Emigrated to Canada working in aviation then the US. Worked in several large power plants and ended up here as an instrument tech on Diablo Canyon nuclear plant and retired from there. Just talking about his life was amazing. We did several projects together and really enjoyed it.

He had been taking care of his wife all by himself who is deep into Alzheimer’s and it was really taking a toll his health but refused to ask for help. I saw last week there was a lot of activity at his place and stopped to talk to his daughter. He had a kind of system failure and was in the hospital but was not coming home. His daughter is a healthcare pro and knew the facilities in Idaho where they live so as soon he was stable they were transferring them both to Idaho. He left last Monday and while he’s not diseased, he’s gone and he’s not the type to talk on the phone or email so I’m thinking I’ll get updates through his daughter. I’m glad he’s getting the care he needs, but I truly regret not getting to know him earlier.

Sounds like George was a great guy. Horst also. Covid is treacherous when you get old. Getting old just sucks. Time for a beer.

Last edited:
Back