Identified 4" 4 Jaw, believe is Buck chuck

BrassCat

Registered
Registered
Hello the forum. I am slowly unpacking from a move from the west coast to Ohio. A lot more room now with an extra garage (very deep) for a shop. So, finally cleaning up my Atlas 618. Some where along the way in the past I had acquired a Debyshire 3c lathe and some tooling. Unpacked a 4" 4 jaw chuck that came with it. (Oh I love telling this story). Has a well matched back plate for a 3C collet spindle. So wow, how would that work on the 6" Atlas (actually Craftsman 6") ? So I inspect it, stamped in front face is Made in USA. OH, that's nice. What is it? I see the number 4411. Also, Kalamazoo. But, it appears double stamped. I can make out "tool co" It is almost like it had the manufacturer's name, but got over stamped by another name. Buck 4_ #2.jpgBuck 4_ #3.jpgSo I search toolmakers in Kalamazoo, I find Buck. Also they made a 4" 4 jaw model #4411. Nice. Its very clean. Jaws are very snug, no hits, crashes or other bad signs. What really surprised me is that the face plate has the jaw locations stamped 1-4 ! Never heard that about 4 jaw chucks, but then I really haven't heard much about them anyway. Two of the Jaws are also numbered. It seems one jaw might even be scratched with a #2.

Seems to be a wonderful chuck for my 6" lathe. I will need to make a back plate. Is this a Buck ? Is the chuck too heavy for the 618 ? Any info on why it is double stamped for maker, does that help with determining it's age ? Thanks for letting me share this.
Buck 4_ #4.jpg

Sorry the photos are blurry. They are blown up larger on full screen. I will try to tackle that tomorrow.

You just need to come up with a threaded backplate for the 618 (or whichever the Derbyshire takes if that's your intent), and you''re in business. Shars should have a backplate blank that you can turn to fit. Should be a dandy little chuck to use and might even spoil you a bit.

Thanks for the reply's. Question still in play:

1) Is it common to number the jaws on a 4 jaw chuck ?

And now another. I thought about this last night. Using the Derbyshire back plate. It has a 3C collet sticking out the back side. Can I remove that and machine it to 1" 10 tpi. The videos I've watched show the back [late in making, to get the boring and treading done so as to mount the back plate in the making installed in the spindle. Then machine to the so as to have it all concentric. Neat trick to get the 1" 10 tpi threading just right. I got to think on that.

Back