I Think I've Been Scammed

projectnut

Registered
Registered
A couple weeks ago I visited one of my favorite used machine dealers. I bought a couple pieces of 80/20 aluminum extrusion and started heading out the door. Just as I cleared the door the owner said he had an older (1980's) high-end Cadillac I might be interested in. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I told him I'd take a look at it next time I was in town.

I stopped by today and thought I'd take a look. I was a bit startled in what I saw. It wasn't a limo, a sedan, a coupe, or even a convertible. I couldn't find the ignition switch, the accelerator, the brake pedal, or any of the other controls. The only thing mildly obvious was what appeared to be the steering wheel. I could turn it at will in either direction, but there didn't seem to be any translation as to which direction it was going to move.

Not wanting to sound ungrateful or ignorant for the chance to make the purchase I asked what it would cost. His reply was for "one crisp $50.00 bill it's all yours". He's never screwed me in the past, so I took the chance and paid the money. I took it home, consulted several search engines on the net, and still have no idea how to drive it.

Keep in mind this is my first Cadillac. I know they're a bit more sophisticated than any of the Fords and Chevy's I've been driving, but I thought for sure I'd be able to figure it out. At this point in time, I'm still drawing a blank. I'm thinking I got taken for a sucker. The nameplate certainly reads Cadillac, but I've searched the Cadillac archives from 1902 to the current date and haven't found a vehicle they built with the model name PLA-CHEK.

I've attached a link to a 12" Cadillac PLA-CHEK in hopes that someone will recognize it and let me know if I've been the unwitting victim of a scam. I was really hoping to drive my first Cadillac to see the relatives this weekend. Somehow, I 'don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited:
Dammit! I though it was going to be a Mori-Seiki clone.

Still, a helluva deal, congrats.

Back