I paid for this

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
$1800 labor for this kind of work. I paid for the materials. The Cee Purlins were already there and my daughter put them under the old sheet metal for me. I agreed to pay the man his fair rate of $300 per day for less than a normal 8 hr. day. I understand that others must eat and pay bills also so Never will you hear a peap out of me about cost. But the quality of the work is less than even satisfactory. He is a friend of my neighbor and has done work for my neighbor before. This week my neighbor said he was looking for a regular job now because all his work has dried up. with work like this i can understand why he has no customers. I have other work I would have gladly paid him his rate to do if the quality was acceptable but the work he does is below lousy.

You didn't specify exactly what your complaint is. I can't see very many screws in the new metal, but that might be the camera position. I hope you let the worker know what you think about his work. Are you saying it took him 6 days (6 x $300 = $1,800) to lay that tin? I can't accurately determine the dimensions of that roof (40' x 20'?), but it doesn't look like 6 days worth of work. A couple of high school kids could have done it in a day or two for a lot less $$$.

At quick glance: screws are on the low side of the sheet, they should be on the high one. If they are on the low side then water gets in when it builds up.

You didn't specify exactly what your complaint is. I can't see very many screws in the new metal, but that might be the camera position. I hope you let the worker know what you think about his work. Are you saying it took him 6 days (6 x $300 = $1,800) to lay that tin? I can't accurately determine the dimensions of that roof (40' x 20'?), but it doesn't look like 6 days worth of work. A couple of high school kids could have done it in a day or two for a lot less $$$.
You are correct not enough screws and zero screws in the original tin. What you see in the original tin is lead head nails and underneath are rotten wooden 2x4's. The job was to include screwing the old tin down to the steel CEE Purlins that I provided and were already in place. The building is about a 24" x 30" Long side of the roof which is what i am showing in the picture is 15 foot sheets and the other side is 12 feet. i would have guess 2 days with 2 people working. But again I am not complaining about how long or how much money I paid. It is the lack of screws that I am really upset about. The new sheets that they did screw down only have 3 screws per Purlin and no screws in the overlapping seams which is very important when the wind blows. It will get under the edges and rip the tin right back off. He could not have lost money by doing it correctly because he was working by the day. $300 a day and some days he quit as early as 1;00pm. But again the cost is not the complaint it is the quality for the cost. thanks for the comment. Best I don't confront the person because I only have 35% of my heart and don't need to be riled up.

At quick glance: screws are on the low side of the sheet, they should be on the high one. If they are on the low side then water gets in when it builds up.
I don't care if it leaks a little I care that It will blow off. Besides the screws have rubber washers on them

Rubber washer in the low curve creates a dam, and likely not in compression at the bottom.

They also have special screws that have a different thread at the top that pulls the metal up.

Also available is a wood strip that matches the pattern, lay strip down, place roof, add fasteners on the hills.

Lousy job.

This person does NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING!

Ruined your material

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

YEP, gotta agree with tq60, when I was a kid I made that mistake .. was about 12 years old and a friend asked to help put up a shed for his parents. It leaked like hell. Next time I did it about 18 yo I put it on top of the ridges. It worked well. BTW I was totally surprised that his parents would let him put the shed up. We didn't have enough experience. But we got experience. Aside from the roof we did a pretty decent job. Everything else was plumb and worked as it should.

I live in an apartment and I did the roofing for the entrance of the building. Used clear wavy poly-carbonate sheets and 1-1/2" electrical galvanized pipes as cross elements. I fabricated the wall supports from thick steel angle and U bolts. Had to bring my own evolution saw to cut the angle and drill press to bore them out for the bolts. They also needed painting. I bought 3/8" lag bolts, but I later found it impossible to get wall plugs of that size. Had to find the nearest size and open them up with the lathe.

I bought a bunch of galvanized stuff I'm not sure what's even for, but I cut it to size to protect the periphery from water. I must have done a zillion cuts on the sheet metal to make 90 degree unions and otherwise join the elements. And used a zillion small bolts and plugs to fix that to the wall. I even bothered to waterproof everything with the red stuff they use on houses. I installed an anchor with galvanized wire on every single hill of the sheet and I did that with every one of the five pipes that supports it. I even bothered to install a small piece of rubber between the pipes and the u bolts, to minimize vibration during wind.

It all took me a month and I did it completely alone. I don't have a truck so I had to transport everything on my car. I spent a lot of that time building a safety line with steel rope because my worst fear was that the ladder would slip and I would fall off.

I charged my neighbors the exorbitant amount of $0.

Last edited:
Back