Hybco Tap Grinder

drom68

Active User
Registered
So I picked up this tap grinder with tooling, needs some clean up. Now I understand the tap grinding part… well sort of, but what else could the tap grinder be used for?

IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0169.JPG IMG_0170.JPG

Sharpening taps...... You might be able to set up and sharpen countersinks on one too.

I think with that grinder you are only limited by your imagination. Looks like it could be pretty flexible.

looks like end mills and possible drill bits

So I picked up this tap grinder with tooling, needs some clean up. Now I understand the tap grinding part… well sort of, but what else could the tap grinder be used for?
Now that you have had, and played with the grinder, for a while - what do you think of it. Can it effectively grind anything else? Even basic round grinding? So I have an "opportunity" to get a Hybco 1100 - except I don't have a lot of taps to sharpen (not that not needing a tool has held me back much from buying it). Regards, David

(not that not needing a tool has held me back much from buying it).

Best quote I've seen and agree with. I have not used the tap grinder yet. I am working on a few other machines I have acquired and still need to pick up a Van Norman, DoAll grinder, vertical bandsaw and a few other odds and ends. I am interested in what can be done with the tap grinder and look forward to using it. I did get a change to clean it up a bit and put a light coat of oil to keep off the rust.

I looked at a similar machine a couple years ago at a surplus dealer in our area. Unfortunately it was missing too many parts to attempt to resurrect it. He still has it, but it's strictly a parts machine. He was asking $100.00 which like everything is negotiable. It wouldn't be bad as a doner machine if you needed any of the remaining parts.

Hi Project. Thank you for filing that information away. I'm still undecided about the machine (they are not giving it away) - I don't actually have much need for grinding taps. At work, we scrap lots of pricey taps, seems like such a waste (we have not been able to find someone who could sharpen them). Whether I could turn that into an opportunity - well that is another matter.

I don't doubt that there is a certain amount of skill involved to get them right. It isn't like I don't have plenty to do as it is!

Hi Project. <snipped> we scrap lots of pricey taps, seems like such a waste (we have not been able to find someone who could sharpen them). Whether I could turn that into an opportunity - well that is another matter.
Opportunity? Well, they are likely not the only place around using taps.........

Most advertising/ marketing doesn't impact or influence me. But one that did, late 90's maybe, the well known compact drill grinder company. Their ad morphed shank end of a drill bit into the pointed end of a simple wooden pencil.
The pitch just said "You sharpen pencils, don't you?"
Putting a shop together has been tough on me. Too big and my interests are rather intense. Yet the idea of being able to run any time day or night comes from that ad, control of cutting edges and filling in for myself when suppliers aren't open.

Back