HSS Tool Grinding

Tolerent

Registered
Registered
What are you using to face your HSS cutters and how are you inspecting them before or between uses?

I am thinking to use a standard 6 or 8" bench grinder with coarse grit around 60 or 80 and fine grit as close to 240 as available as the first two steps.
Then follow if I can with a low speed grinder with finer white wheels. (Looking for recommendations)
Finally lapping with an Eze-lap diamond hand lapper or with a whetstone in the 2,000 to 10,000 grit range.

Inspecting initially by naked eye (everyday eyeglasses in place), then later with a 10X loupe: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CAHCQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  1. Who is using anything stronger than 10x optical to inspect tooling or products? What are you using?
  2. Who is re-sharpening HSS between uses or before it manifests edge degradation?
  3. How are you shaping and sharpening your tools?
  4. Where are you getting your better quality grinding implements.
  5. What are you using to hold HSS blanks in place position and orientation during grinding?
How many Band-Aids to stock at the lathe might be a topic soon.

You'll want to read this thread. It's the best source of info on HSS tool grinding. Ever. :D

I suspect you will find that even a fairly small belt grinder is a good option, as you can change belts readily and have a flat platen to work against. I’m working on a 2x72 so I can’t really say for sure. I use a bench grinder now, 60- and 120-grit, 6”.

What are you using to face your HSS cutters and how are you inspecting them before or between uses?

I am thinking to use a standard 6 or 8" bench grinder with coarse grit around 60 or 80 and fine grit as close to 240 as available as the first two steps.
Then follow if I can with a low speed grinder with finer white wheels. (Looking for recommendations)
Finally lapping with an Eze-lap diamond hand lapper or with a whetstone in the 2,000 to 10,000 grit range.

Inspecting initially by naked eye (everyday eyeglasses in place), then later with a 10X loupe: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CAHCQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  1. Who is using anything stronger than 10x optical to inspect tooling or products? What are you using?
  2. Who is re-sharpening HSS between uses or before it manifests edge degradation?
  3. How are you shaping and sharpening your tools?
  4. Where are you getting your better quality grinding implements.
  5. What are you using to hold HSS blanks in place position and orientation during grinding?
How many Band-Aids to stock at the lathe might be a topic soon.

Your mind is racing while waiting for the PM1340GT isn't it? Good, mine would be, too. Congrats on your new lathe and welcome to HM!

I'll try to cover all your questions from a personal standpoint.
  • What are you using to face your HSS cutters and how are you inspecting them before or between uses?
Not sure what you mean by face. I normally hone my HSS tools after every use, before storing them away. That way, they are always sharp and ready to go. Most of my tools last more than a decade while treated this way and they cut like new the entire time so this works for me.
  • Who is using anything stronger than 10x optical to inspect tooling or products? What are you using?
I use the old Mark I eyeball and newsprint. If it looks sharp and can cut curlicues with the tool then its probably sharp enough to use. I can tell you that my tools are sharp enough to carve up your fingers and I have bled many times while honing my tools so you know those band aids you mentioned? Yeah, you might need some of those ...
  • Who is re-sharpening HSS between uses or before it manifests edge degradation?
As stated, I hone after every use. This only takes a few strokes per face with a diamond stone. Rarely do I need to hone my tools during use, although I may do that before a critical cut if it took a lot of turning to get to that point.
  • How are you shaping and sharpening your tools?
I use a belt sander. It is much faster, cooler and more precise than a bench grinder. Many experienced guys prefer a bench grinder so it really comes down to what you're comfortable working with.
  • Where are you getting your better quality grinding implements.
Amazon! Belts, hones. Ebay for tool bits.
  • What are you using to hold HSS blanks in place position and orientation during grinding?
My hands, plus a plywood push block. Some folks use jigs or tool holders to hang onto the bit. I don't find this necessary or helpful.

As David mentioned above, come join us on the Model Tools thread when you get ready to grind some tools. You never know, they just might surprise you to see how well a HSS can cut.

After I grind a tool, I take it to my bench and hone it to a sharp edge. The only test I do is see if it will cut a curl when I scrap it on my fingernail.

Back