How accurate is the hole placement in the base of the machines?

chu.c.me

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I am about to receive a 1340gt lathe and 833tv mill.

I am at the beginning stages of fabricating stands for both.

I want to have a 1/2in plate underneath the mounting areas of the machines for them to sit on, and am looking into having the plates laser cut.

Can I rely on the hole pattern measurements such as the one I attached for the mill?

Can I just replicate the measurements from sanddan's awesome lathe stand?

Or should I just have the profile of the plate laser cut and then drill my own holes?

Thank you for any information.

Colin

Attachments

• Measured-833-hole-pattern.pdf
    201 KB · Views: 32
  • mnt plate lh upper.PDF
    46.6 KB · Views: 21
Clearly states in the PDF's "all measurements approximate" so personally I'd measure the actual machines first. And since delivery seems soon why not just wait to have the plate laser cut after you measure.

1/2 inch plate dang, bravado approved!

You’re right, thanks for your input.

My daydream was to have the stands ready so I could just plop them on when the machines arrived.

But it would be a travesty to have it all welded up only to not fit.

You’re right, thanks for your input.

My daydream was to have the stands ready so I could just plop them on when the machines arrived.

But it would be a travesty to have it all welded up only to not fit.
Totally understand. I will say as I have gotten a bit older I have learned to slow down and savor these moments. Take my time to extract the most enjoyment vs blasting through everything at 100mph which is my typical speed on everything. Well not everything, ahem ah that got awkward fast.

Just yesterday, I drilled and tapped some steel plates to mount some casters for a mobile bandsaw base. I bought casters from McMaster and used their drawing for hole locations. Sure enough, one hole on each caster was off by almost .1" making it necessary to break out the die grinder and a burr. Of course I felt like an idiot for not checking, being that the casters were laying right there on the bench...

Back