Help with a drill press switch?

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have this really nice Solberga drill.
It is the nicest machine I own.
Recently I pulled the knob out to start it and it pulled right out. When I opened it up the whole switch grenaded on me.
Does anyone know what this type of switch is called? It has F R and Hi Lo.
This drill has a auto tapping function on it which I never use. I wish I could eliminate the auto tap and just use a foot switch to reverse. Is there anyone in or near the Twin Cities, Minnesota that could take on an electrical job like this? I would pay you well and be really grateful.

Attachments

• 812202453441.jpg
    812202453441.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 812202453424.jpg
    812202453424.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 818202494727.jpg
    818202494727.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 14
Those are great drill presses.
Take several pictures of the switch and the wiring.
I had to order the last switch I replaced in a Solberga from Germany but there are similar switches from other countries.
Also in the manual should be a truth chart for the switch.

Those are great drill presses.
Take several pictures of the switch and the wiring.
I had to order the last switch I replaced in a Solberga from Germany but there are similar switches from other countries.
Also in the manual should be a truth chart for the switch.
Thanks @sdelivery
There is SO much electrical stuff on this thing that I dont want to touch it.
And I would really like to simplify the electrics on it.
This unit above the head controls the tapping function. 8182024102847.jpg
On the face are two micro switches to adjust the depth.

8182024103241.jpg

And up in the top of the column there are more relays, etc

8182024102859.jpg

I would Really like to simplify the electrics and use a foot switch to reverse it but that is all WAY above my pay grade.
Can anyone recommend a local technician Who could do this?

A VFD may be the easy way out. They are not expensive and allow for variable speed. I had a two
speed switch on my Enco vertical mill that eventually wore out. Changing to a VFD (variable frequency drive)
was not difficult to install and an enhancement too.

Can you describe the function of the switch? You state pull to turn on but does the switch do both forward/reverse and high/low? If so, how is this accomplished? e.g. push/pull for high/low and rotate left/right for forward/reverse.

There are quite a few of this type of switch available but I haven't seen one that is both rotate left/right and push pull. Here is an example of one.
They tend to be fairly robust and versatile switches and are commonly used on import machines. It may take some searching to find a suitable replacement though.

As to reconfiguring the switching on your machine, it can be done but there are some concerns. Your idea of a foot control for forward/reverse could have some issues with a single phase induction motor as the motor needs to slow almost to a stop before switching. No problem with a 3 phase motor. Doing so will require determining what all those 28 contacts on the OEM switch do so you can break out the forward/reverse function. Then a much simpler switch can be used for on/off and high/low.

Have you tried reaching out to Willis Machinery to see if they can help you? They've been the exclusive importer of the Solberga drills for 60 years now. Sounds like they have experience with foot pedals as well.

From their site:

“Willis-Solberga” drills are also sold with a number of different options. Flange quills are available in order to mount multiple spindle heads. “Solberga” drill presses for sale can either come as manual or power-feed machines. The drills with an electromagnetic (ELM) package provide an electronic push button, for power feed engagement and auto reversing for tapping. Tapping is made possible by the option of automatic reversing or even a foot pedal for convenient operation.

They, might have some insight on foot pedal tapping/reversing. At the very least, I'd imagine they could help you get your switch wiring sorted out.

Back