Help needed drawing an indexing disc using progeCAD

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
:help:

I am attempting to use progeCAD2009 free program to draw an indexing disc with 200 divisions around the circumference, that I can print to just fit onto an A4 sheet of paper.

Maths is my worst subject, so I thought a Cad prog would do it for me, but after way too long spent out of my depth I need help here please.... :banghead:

Is anyone able to give me some pointers?

Bernard

Is this what you wanted?

Circle_200_Lines.jpg

Follow this link for a PDF file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQbGfToBp5sVTQ5Mmg4dHd5U1U/edit?usp=sharing

BTW
1. Draw Circle
2. Make one line how you want them all to be
3. Use the Array Command (in Autocad it is a polar Array), tell it you want 200 Elements
Select the center of the circle as the rotation point for the array.
Then you can use the plotting options to scale it to just the size of the paper, or you can use the "Extents" print option it means it will plot to the Extents of the paper.

Circle_200_Lines.jpg

Thanks guys! You've been a great help, very much appreciated.

Bernard

Is this what you wanted?

Follow this link for a PDF file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQbGfToBp5sVTQ5Mmg4dHd5U1U/edit?usp=sharing

BTW
1. Draw Circle
2. Make one line how you want them all to be
3. Use the Array Command (in Autocad it is a polar Array), tell it you want 200 Elements
Select the center of the circle as the rotation point for the array.
Then you can use the plotting options to scale it to just the size of the paper, or you can use the "Extents" print option it means it will plot to the Extents of the paper.

Annoyingly I was unable to import your PDF file to my free version of progeCAD to modify it for my needs, but your post helped me to create my own version, not without a great deal of head scratching it has to be said!
It's the all jargon that gets me lost, the program is relatively easy to learn as long as one knows what terms to use searching the help files..:headscratch:

I managed to convert mine to PDF with the built in printer so here is a copy if anyone can make use of it..

Betcha can't guess what I'm making yet...:rofl:

View attachment Indexr_200_10_5.PDF

:thumbzup: Thanks again for your help

Bernard

Thanks for that useful and interesting link elf, and I may get around to something more sophisticate when I get time, but for now I am just using my SOTP engineering methods here.

My idea is to simply glue the drawing on a piece of ply and use a pointer, it seems to work OK, as I'm not likely to need it often it's very easy to just print out anything needed, it seems like a hassle free way to get one job done.

As you say, making it large is the key to success, nice big divisions work well.

DSCF2570.JPG

First practice

DSCF2572.JPG

Bernard

DSCF2570.JPG DSCF2572.JPG

Last edited:
One suggestion (if you haven't already done it) would be to laminate it. then you can use a dry marker to mark the desired point and wipe it off for re-use later. Make one on a metal disc to keep around for a while. Looks like it could be handy to have!

Looks good. It should be more than accurate enough for the job. It would be interesting to see what kind of accuracy could be achieved by adding a Vernier scale to it.

Back